Subject: CSS Today #9411, November 19,1994

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 1994 16:42:02 -0500

############################################################################
     T h e  E l e c t r o n i c   N e w s l e t t e r   o f   I F C S S
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
           _____________      _____________      ______________
          /   _____     }}   /    _________}}   /    __________}}
         /   //    }____}}  {    {{________    {    {{_________
         |   ||    _____     \_________    }}   \__________    }}
         \   \\____}    }}    _________}   }}    __________}   }}
_________ \____________// __{_____________// __{______________//____________

           ]]]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]   ]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]
              ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]  ]]   ]]
              ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]]]]]]]   ]] ]]
              ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]    ]]]
              ]]]     ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]    ]]]

%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
Press Desk <[email-masked]>         November 19, 1994               No.9411
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=

IN THIS ISSUE:                                                   No of Lines
============================================================================
              *** _____ Electronic Press Conference ____ ***
1. News Brief (2 items) ................................................. 11
2. IFCSS president LUO Ning Asks All CSS to Support Promoting the
     Nomination of WEI Jingsheng for the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize ......... 23
3. US Congressmen Call for Support to Nominate WEI Jingsheng for
     the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize ......................................... 42

              *** __________ Together We Can ___________ ***
4. Applause for HQ's Decision on Nominating WEI Jingsheng ............... 71
5. IFCSS establishes Chinese Professional Information Center (CPIC) ..... 59
     Appendix: CPIC REGISTRATION FORM ................................... 91

              *** __________ In the Community __________ ***
6. CIU is compiling UW-Madison Chinese Alumni Directory ................. 12

              *** ________ Information Sharing _________ ***
7. Suggestions to American Ginseng Purchasers ........................... 43
============================================================================

================= <<<<< Electronic Press Conference >>>>> ==================
1. News Brief (2 items) ................................................. 11
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From IFCSS Press Desk, 11/18/94

o Last night, IFCSS HQ contacted Gui Yang City major's office, Gui Zhou
  Province, China, and expressed great concern on the cause of the abnormal
  death of YANG Xiaofeng's brother.  YANG Jie of HQ strongly urged the local
  authorities to get justice done on the incident.  HQ is monitoring the
  development of the issue and working closely with IFCSS Civil Rights
  Committee on the matter.
  
o LUO Ning has returned to Washington DC from his week-long trip to West
  Coast and Connecticut.  Dr. LUO has met with several schools CSSA presidents,
  community leaders, and business enterprisers.  Two meetings were held to
  exchange with Min2 Lian2 Zhen4 and San1 Min2 Zhu3 Yi4 Da4 Tong2 Meng2 (DTM)
  key officers respectively.  During the visit, LUO also had an open lunch
  meeting with CSS in UCLA student cafeteria.  A report summarizing the
  work has been sent to the IFCSS council.

================= <<<<< Electronic Press Conference >>>>> ==================
2. IFCSS president LUO Ning Asks All CSS to Support Promoting the
         Nomination of WEI Jingsheng for the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize ..... 23
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
By "CSS Today" Reporter: Erh Huan, 11/19/94

IFCSS President LUO Ning, in his interview with CSS Today reporter, asked all
the CSS to participate in  promoting the nomination of WEI Jingsheng for the
Nobel Peace Prize. He said, Mr. WEI Jingsheng had been a symbol of China's
Democracy movement. In his long time struggle with Chinese authority, he has
shown his great courage and determination for the promotion of democracy and
human right in our country. WEI has won international recognition over his
commitment for the well-being of Chinese people and now it is the high time for
the Nobel Committee to grant WEI the Nobel Peace Prize, as an appreciation to
his great effort and an encouragement to hundreds of thousands of men and
women in China who are still struggling for democracy and human right. Mr. LUO
Ning especially praised several IFCSS activists who brought this issue to the
attention of general CSS public and who are now ardently soliciting for the
support of the nomination. As the year end approaches, he urges all CSSA
presidents as well as IFCSS officers promote this activity in their
Thanksgiving and New Year party. The IFCSS HQ will coordinate the effort at
the national level. "We want to show our appreciation to Mr. WEI jingsheng
for his courageous stand for democracy and human right, we want to show our
appreciation for hundreds of thousands of men and women in China who are still
struggling for the democratization of our country. And we hope the world
community can recognize the great effort by generations of ordinary Chinese
that have been struggling for democracy and human right for so many years",
said Mr. LUO.
  
================= <<<<< Electronic Press Conference >>>>> ==================
3. US Congressmen Call for Support to Nominate WEI Jingsheng for
       the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize ....................................... 42
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: from <[email-masked]>, 11/17/94 
                                                         September 28, 1994
Dear Colleague,

We are writing to ask you to join us in nominating a distinguished candidate
for the Nobel Peace Prize for 1995: WEI Jingsheng, one of the most important
figures in China's pro-democracy movement over the past fifteen years. A copy
of the nomination letter is on the reverse of this page. By honoring WEI for
his courageous commitment to human rights and fundamental freedoms, the Nobel
Committee can make a symbolic statement on behalf of the entire international
community.

WEI Jingsheng was first imprisoned in 1979 for his role during the "Democracy
Wall" movement in 1978-1979. The 43-year old former Beijing Zoo electrician
was sentenced to 15 years in prison for engaging in "counter-revolutionary
propaganda and incitement."  While in jail, he was beaten and isolated but
refused to abandon his beliefs and principles. WEI was released in September
1993, as part of China's bid to host the Olympic Games in year 2000.

He continued to speak out for human rights and almost singled-handily brought
the pro-democracy movement back to life. On February 27, 1994, WEI met with
Assistant Secretary of State for Human Rights and Humanitarian Affairs
Shattuck: China accused Secretary Shattuck of a criminal offense for seeing
WEI. WEI was again detained in April, after only six short months of freedom.
WEIUs current  whereabouts are unknown; he could be put on trial again or
sentenced administratively to a labor camp at any time.

In his writings, WEI has eloquently attested to the need for legal protections
and respect for human rights as a corollary to economic development. His
vision of human rights is more vital than ever in the turbulent world of the
1990's.

We hope you will support the worldwide effort underway by members of
parliaments and others to place his name in nomination. If you would like to
sign the nominating letter, please call Carolyn Bartholomow with Congresswoman
Pelosi at 5-4965 or Mark Foulon with Senator Bradley at 4-8566. The deadline
for signing the letter is Thursday, October 6.

Sincerely

Nancy Pelosi(signed)          Bill Bradley (singed)
Member of Congress            US Senate

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appendix: US Congressman's Nomination Letter to Nobel Committee ......... 36
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: from <[email-masked]>, 11/17/94

Norwegian Nobel Committee
The Nobel Institute
Drawmwnsvn, 19
N-0255 Oslo, Norway

Dear Members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee:

We, the undersigned members of the U.S. Congress, respectfully nominate WEI
Jingsheng for the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize. We strongly believe that WEI would
be a highly distinguished Nobel Peace Laureate, and that by honoring him the
committee would recognize his courageous stand for democracy and human rights
over the past fifteen years.

WEI Jingsheng has been an international catalyst and an important symbol for
a generation of Chinese citizens, first inspired by his example during the
"Democracy Wall" movement in 1978-1979. His controversial articles and
involvement in the publication of an unofficial journal led to his
imprisonment for nearly fifteen years starting in October 1979. During his
confinement, he was repeatedly beaten and isolated from other prisoners, but
refused to give up his beliefs and principles.

Following WEIUs release from prison in September 1993, he continued to speak
out for human rights as a necessary corollary to economic development. As he
wrote last March, "No country or society can dispense with legal protection
... if it is to upgrade its economy.  As the standard of the authority and
the justice in the legal system of all countries is improved, the rights of
the people will be better guaranteed, and their economic capabilities will be
enhanced". WEI almost single-handedly brought new life to the dormant pro-
democracy movement in China. For this, he has paid a high price--- the loss
of his liberty once again. Since his detention on April 1, 1994, WEI
Jingsheng's whereabouts remain unknown.

We hope that the Nobel Committee will choose to acknowledge WEI Jingsheng's
unique historical contribution and his deep commitment to fundamental rights
and freedoms. The objective and ideals he represents are crucial ingredients
for China's peaceful transition over the coming decade.

======================= <<<<< Together We Can >>>>> ========================
4. Applause for HQ's Decision on Nominating WEI Jingsheng ............... 71
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: XU Yi <[email-masked]>, 11/11/94

Dear President of IFCSS,

I just received CSS Today #9410 in which XU Yingying, HQ Executive Director,
reported the HQ's decisions on joining the campaign for winning the 1995 Nobel
Peace Prize for WEI Jingsheng.

I applaud HQ's decision!

At the same time, I would like to make one suggestion. While collecting
signatures for supporting WEI Jingsheng's nomination is absolutely necessary
and should be done vigorously following the measures stated in the HQ's
decision, there is one thing that is as important and effective as collecting
signatures, but is also more urgent: soliciting more nomination letters from
those who are qualified to make the nomination for Nobel Peace Prize. Among
the qualified people are: current professors of law, history, philosophy and
political sciences; Nobel Prize laureates. Technically, one nomination letter
by a single qualified individual is enough to make WEI Jingsheng a candidate
for the Nobel Peace Prize, and the nomination letter by the 58 US Congressmen
has already made him a candidate. However, our goal is to actually WIN the
Peace Prize for WEI Jingsheng. And a nomination letter by a qualified
individual is probably as influential as many supporting signatures. Many of
us CSS have contacts with those qualified people both in US and in China. We
should make the best use of our contacts and solicit as many nomination
letters as possible. Since the deadline for receiving nominations by the Nobel
Committee is Feb.1, 1995, we have very little time left.

In the following I attached 5 documents that can be used when we try to
solicit nomination letters. Could you please advise the HQ staff, council
members, and Human Rights Committee members to make full use of the these
documents if they don't have enough time to create their own documents for
this purpose? For those who would like to contact qualified people in China,
please let them contact me for more documents in Chinese.

Once again please accept my sincere appreciation for the leadership you are
willing to take on this common cause of ours.

Sincerely
XU  Yi

____________ Sample cover letter for soliciting nominations ______________

                                                            Nov. ___, 1994
Dear ________,

I/we am/are writing to ask you to lend your support for the nomination of Mr.
WEI Jingsheng for the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize. As a Professor of Law/ History/
Philosophy/Political Science//Nobel Prize Laureate, you have the privilege of
being able to nominate candidates for the Nobel Peace Prize. I/we would like
to recommend to you Mr. WEI Jingsheng as a possible nominee for the 1995 Nobel
Peace Prize. Enclosed please find a letter by Prof. FANG Lizhi asking for
support of Mr. WEI Jingsheng's nomination.

To nominate Mr. WEI Jingsheng, all you need to do is to write a brief letter
of nomination to the Norwegian Nobel Committee at the following address:

	The Norwegian Nobel Committee
	Nobel Institute
	Drammensveien 19
	N-0255 Oslo
	Norway

I/we will be more than delighted to provide you with more information about
Mr. WEI Jingsheng if you need it.

I/we would greatly appreciate it if you could generously lend your precious
support for the nomination of Mr. WEI Jingsheng for the 1995 Nobel Peace Prize.
Please let me/us know if you decide to help.

Sincerely yours,
(Sign Your Name Here)

====================== <<<<< Together We Can >>>>> =========================
5. IFCSS establishes Chinese Professional Information Center (CPIC) ..... 59
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: HE Baoping <[email-masked]>,11/14/94
 
    IFCSS establishes Chinese Professional Information Center (CPIC)
    
To assist Chinese professionals in the US in their career and business
development, IFCSS is establishing an information center -- the Chinese
Professional Information Center (CPIC). CPIC will gather the personal
profiles of its participants as well as business and technical information
from all over the world. CPIC will provide the following information and
service to you:

1) Professional career service.  Job-hunting has been a painful and time-
consuming experience for a majority of Chinese professionals in the U.S.
Possible reasons are lack of personal contacts and not knowing how to access
information on the job market.  CPIC shall establish an expertise database of
Chinese professionals and provide our talent pool to potential employers and
help them to recruit from CPIC participants.  As an individual you may be
easily ignored by prospective employers. As a group, however, Chinese
professionals have their expertise in almost all fields, especially in science
and engineering.   A talent pool drawn from Chinese professionals will be
irresistible to most employers.

2) Business opportunities in the U.S., China, and other countries.  In this
competitive global economy, business opportunities are abundant for Chinese
professionals in the U.S.  For example, in recent years many companies on both
sides of the Pacific have been seeking for business representatives and
partners among Chinese professionals in the U.S.  Many have missed these
golden opportunities due to lack of information.  CPIC will serve as a liaison
between the Chinese professionals in the US and business communities in both
sides of the Pacific.

3) Consulting services.  During the recent U.S. economic downward trend, many
large firms have gone through down-sizing or right-sizing by cutting high tech
jobs.  Now, these firms are relying more on temporary professional services.
This presents many consulting opportunities for Chinese professionals in the
U.S. since most of them have advanced technical degrees.  In addition, recent
economic developments in China have created other consulting opportunities
that are best suited for them, such as helping Chinese firms to purchase high
tech equipment in the U.S. or from initiating to finalizing joint venture
deals between Chinese and U.S. firms.  CPIC will have a global consulting
database for those who are willing to take these opportunities.

4) Professional meetings and research funding prospects.  For those who want
to pursue technical or academic career, it is vital to keep up with the latest
developments in their fields and to identify various research funding channels.
While you may have your own channels of such information, CPIC will greatly
increase your horizon. Your chances of presenting yourself in the professional
community, and getting the much needed grants will be considerably enhanced.

CPIC is poised to help every Chinese professional in the U.S. to lead a
successful career and life.  For CPIC to serve your professional needs, all
you have to do is to fill out the attached registration form and mail or e-mail
it back to CPIC.  It will take only a few minutes of your time, and the
registration fee is waived if you send in the form by January 1, 1995.  To
protect your interests, the information you provide to CPIC will be kept
strictly confidential and used only for the above defined CPIC services.  CPIC
urges every Chinese professional in the U.S. to participate in this data
collection process.  The more people are involved, the more powerful and
valuable CPIC will be to you.   We also encourage you to give suggestions and
comments so CPIC can better serve you and all Chinese professionals.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appendix: CHINESE PROFESSIONAL INFORMATION CENTER REGISTRATION FORM ..... 91
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: HE Baoping <[email-masked]>,11/14/94

    CHINESE PROFESSIONAL INFORMATION CENTER (CPIC) REGISTRATION FORM
        (* All the items in this form, except name and address,
        are optional.  To get full service from the center, you
        are encouraged to fill as many items as possible. *)

1. DATE:    /  /1994
2. NAME: (Last)______________  (First)___________________
3. SEX: _ M  _ F
4. MAILING ADDRESS: __________________________________________
                    __________________________________________
          City: ____________________ State __  Zip ______-____
5. PHONE: (Home)______________  (Work)______________ (Fax)______________
6. EMAIL: ________________________
7. EMPLOYER/SCHOOL: _________________________________________________
8. TITLE: _______________________________
9. EDUCATION: (Fill expected degree in the first line if it applies)

  Degree  Year received    Major field            School and location
          or expected
  ______  ________    ______________________   __________________________
  ______  ________    ______________________   __________________________
  ______  ________    ______________________   __________________________

10. PROFESSIONAL AREAS OF INTERESTS: (List up to 6 phrases in the order
    of preference to describe you experience and background, e.g.
    Computer network; IC design; CAD; CAM; Polymer processing; chemical
    analysis; quality control; power system; hotel management; inventory
    control; environmental legislation; statistics; and so on)
(1.) ___________________________  (4.) _______________________________
(2.) ___________________________  (5.) _______________________________
(3.) ___________________________  (6.) _______________________________

11. LANGUAGE: (Check with "X")
    _ Mandarin   _ Cantonese  _ English
    _ Japanese   _ French     _ German    _ Other:

12. POSITION DESIRED: (Check with "X")
    _ Research  _ Teaching  _ R&D  _ Management  _ Other:_________

13. LOCATION DESIRED:
    _ USA  _ Canada  _ China  _ Taiwan  _ Hongkong
    _ Singapore  _ Other:__________________

14. BUSINESS CONNECTIONS IN CHINA (List 3 industries and 3 places in
    which you have personal contacts or experience):

     Industry type (Hang2Ye4)             Location (province, city, etc.)
   (1.) __________________________     (1.) _____________________________
   (2.) __________________________     (2.) _____________________________

15. VISA TYPE
    _ F-1   _ J-1   _ H-1  _ US citizen   _ PR   _ Other:_______

16. DO YOU CURRENTLY OWN A BUSINESS?
    _ No   _ Yes: What kind?__________________________________________

17. DO YOU HAVE INTENTION TO START A BUSINESS?
    _ No   _ Yes: Please specify your interested business:
                  _ High-tech  _ Trade  _ Service
                  _ Consulting  _ Other(s): ____________

18. DO YOU WANT TO INVEST MONEY INTO A BUSINESS?
    _ No   _ Yes: maximum amount  $__________

19. SUGGESTIONS AND COMMENTS:

20. PLEASE ATTACH YOUR RESUME (ASCII file if E-mail or any format if
    post mail)
    ****************************************************************
    *    Do not write in this box, data processing record only     *
    *    Form received                      Date: ___/___/___      *
    *    Input by: (sign)                   Database ID#:          *
    ****************************************************************

Please send your completed registration form by any of the following
methods (listed in the order of preference):
1: E-mail:  [email-masked]
2: Diskette: 3.5 or 5.25 DOS, (ASCII file).
3. Printed form.
For 2. and 3., mail to: CPIC, P.O.Box 10943, Blacksburg, VA 24062-0943

==================== <<<<<  In the Community  >>>>> ========================
6. CIU is compiling UW-Madison Chinese Alumni Directory ................. 12
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: CIU <[email-masked]>

Chinese Independent Union (CIU) at University of Wisconsin-Madison has
launched a project to compile an "UW_Madison-Chinese Alumni Directory". This
is the first such project on UW-Madison Chinese history.  CIU is urging all
UW-Madison alumna/alumnus graduated from 1984 - 1994 to send your current
(both home and work) addresses, phone numbers, email address, occupation and
the university in China you graduated from, to <[email-masked]>
or by postal mail to: P.O.Box 51, Union South, Madison, WI 53715.

This project is aimed at promoting UW-Madison Chinese friendship, establishing
an alumni communication channel, and strengthen CIU's connections with her
members.  A copy of printed "UW-Madison-Chinese Alumni Directory" will be
sent to you upon its publication by the end of November, 1994.

==================== <<<<< Information Sharing >>>>> =======================
7. Suggestions to American Ginseng Purchasers ........................... 43
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: CHEN Huailin <[email-masked]>, 11/18/94

             Suggestions to American Ginseng Purchasers

Although the prices of ginseng are varied with their size and shape, no
research evidence has concluded that the size and shape contribute to the
effect of ginseng.  However, the bigger and shorter ginseng roots do LOOK
better than smaller and longer ones according to most customers.

1. If you purchase for YOURSELF or your own PARENTS (that means you don't
care too much about the appearance of ginseng),  you can choose from Raw
Ginseng and Ginseng Branch (because their prices are much lower).

2. If you purchase as a gift (that means you do care about appearance),
then the M (middle) LM (large-middle) may be a good choice.  For gifts to
VIP, the L (large), XL (extra large) or JB (Jumble) may give a nicer
impression.

3. If you purchase as gifts for people who live in Hong Kong, Guangdong,
Fujian or Oversea Chinese, the short roots are much better than Long or
Middle roots.  People in these areas traditionally believe short roots have
better effects.  People live in Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang also prefer
the short or middle roots.

4. Verify the items (.25 lb or .5 lb for each items) you ordered to meet
multiple-purposes.

WISCHINA is owned operated by a group of Chinese students in Wisconsin.  In
today's market which is flooded with FAKE American ginseng, WISCHINA is the
ONLY ginseng company in the U.S. that guarantees its products with a DOUBLE
REFUND policy.  During the past year, hundreds of Chinese students placed
orders from WISCHINA, and several dozens of them even ordered 4, 5 times in
a row in several months.  Till now, none of WISCHINA's products has been
rejected or returned.

CATALOG (effective from Nov. 1, 1994):

* We guarantee that our products are 100% genuine Wisconsin ginseng. We will
  double refund (in 3 months after the order) if any of our products is
  proven to be fake.
* We give an additional 5% off current price for any order of 3 LB or more.
* Our prices are 10%-15% lower than the main mail order company.
* All products are this year's harvest.
* Packaged in 1/4 LB (4 OZ) boxes.

############################################################################
|       Editor: LIANG Guihe          Deputy Coordinator: YUAN Wei          |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  |
|       IFCSS, 733 15th St. N.W., Suite 440, Washington, DC 20005.         |
|               Phone: (202)347-0017; Fax: (202)347-0018                   |
| ________________________________________________________________________ |
| The Press_Desk serves for multichannel communications among CSS & IFCSS. |
| Please send your comments, questions, criticisms and anything concerning |
| a healthy establishment of IFCSS to:          <[email-masked]>          |
|                                                                          |
| To subscribe to IFCSS Press_Desk publications, please send mail to       |
|                      [email-masked]                                  |
| with the mail body:  sub PBS-L last_name first_name (for signing on)     |
|                 or:  unsub PBS-L last_name first_name (for signing off)  |
| For more information about IFCSS, its Service Program and publications,  |
| ftp/gopher to <ifcss.org> or use mosaic (www) to: http://ifcss.org:8001/ |
############################################################################