Subject: CSS Today #9412, November 21,1994

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 1994 11:55:02 -0500

############################################################################
     T h e  E l e c t r o n i c   N e w s l e t t e r   o f   I F C S S
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
           _____________      _____________      ______________
          /   _____     }}   /    _________}}   /    __________}}
         /   //    }____}}  {    {{________    {    {{_________
         |   ||    _____     \_________    }}   \__________    }}
         \   \\____}    }}    _________}   }}    __________}   }}
_________ \____________// __{_____________// __{______________//____________

           ]]]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]   ]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]
              ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]  ]]   ]]
              ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]]]]]]]   ]] ]]
              ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]    ]]]
              ]]]     ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]    ]]]

%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
Press Desk <[email-masked]>         November 21, 1994               No.9412
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=

IN THIS ISSUE:                                                   No of Lines
============================================================================
              *** _____ Electronic Press Conference ____ ***
1. Press Desk News Summary: Justice Has to be Done (2 items) ............ 13
2. Bill Clinton's Reply to LUO Ning on Human Rights Situation in China ...43

              *** _________ Under the Sunshine _________ ***
3. HQ's 3rd Memo to Council on the Humanitarian Assistance Proposal ..... 15
4. IFCSS Exchange Working Committee Work Report ......................... 97

              *** __________ Together We Can ___________ ***
5. Artistic Work for IFCSS Newsletter and 1995 Calendar Solicited ....... 43
6. Special Report on the Incident of YANG Xiaohong's Abnormal Death .....110

              *** __________ Readers' Comments _________ ***
7. Different Accounts on Where LU Wenhe's Anger Came From (2 Items) .... 100
===========================================================================

======================= <<<<< News in Brief >>>>> ==========================
1. Press Desk News Summary: Justice Has to be Done (2 items) ............ 13
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From CSS Today Reporter (2 items)

o  For the past 96 hours, IFCSS HQ and IFCSS Civil Rights Committee have
   reacted promptly and been working closely on an incident of YANG Xiaohong's
   abnormal death half a world away in Gui Yang City, Gui Zhou Province,
   China.  The incident has also brought great concerns from hundreds of CSS
   nation wide.  Please see column "Special report on the incident of YANG
   Xiaohong's abnormal death" for more.

o  A Special Task Force on YANG Xiaohong Incident has been formed.  The
   current Members are: Mr HUANG Lin (Mi Mi Sir., the chair of IFCSS Civil
   Rights Comm.), Mr. YANG Jie (from IFCSS HQ), Mr. ZHANG Feng, Mr. LIU Yuhe
   (IFCSS V Club).  The task force has conducted a serious work in an effort
   to get the justice done.

================= <<<<< Electronic Press Conference >>>>> ==================
2. Bill Clinton's Reply to LUO Ning on Human Rights Situation in China ...43
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
EditorUs Note: For letter from President LUO Ning to President Clinton on MFN
               and human rights issue, please see CSS Today #9408 (11/7/94).

_From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>, 11/15/94

                           The White House
                              Washington
November 10, 1994

Dr. Ning LUO
President
Independent Federation of Chinese Students and Scholars
733 15th Street, N.W., Suite 440
Washington, D.C. 20005

Dear LUO Ning:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our relationship with China.

As the world's fastest growing economy, China offers trade opportunities that
help create and maintain American jobs. Commerce Secretary Brown recently led
a Presidential Business Development Mission to China to underscore this point.
During his trip, he witnessed the signing of $6 billion in contracts and
memoranda of understanding by American firms in energy, transportation, and
telecommunications -- all sectors in which U.S. firms excel both at home and
abroad.  This mission also enabled us to obtain government-to-government
commercial agreements, which set an ambitious agenda for U.S.-China trade
expansion in priority sectors.  In short, now more than ever, American firms
have an excellent opportunity to expand their business prospects in China.
And the commerce Department estimates that each $1 billion in U.S. exports
supports approximately 19,000 U.S. jobs.

At the same time, we are seeking to improve China's performance in areas where
it has fallen short -- including human rights.  I am hopeful that our current
relationship will lead not only to more trade, but also to more international
cooperation and a more productive dialogue on human rights issues, all of
which will help China continue to evolve as a responsible power.  In fact,
another positive development during Secretary Brown's trip was China's
agreement to resume our bilateral dialogue on human rights.

I appreciate hearing your views.  Following our present course, we can look
forward to more jobs for American workers and a better standard of living in
both Countries.

Sincerely,

Bill Clinton (signed)

====================== <<<<< Under the Sunshine >>>>> ======================
3. HQ's 3rd Memo to Council on the Humanitarian Assistance Proposal ..... 15
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 From:   IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>, 11/10/94
 To:     Council, IFCSS
 Subj:   6.4 victim rescue proposal, a 3rd memo

To promote the Humanitarian rescue to the 6.4 victim in China, HQ had
proposed a detailed suggestion on IFCSS elected officials' sharing of
responsibility to financially support one family by each of us. We failed to
see any mention of such proposal in the council's first meeting.  Before the
council's second meeting, president LUO Ning reiterated the validity of all
previous HQ proposal.  Unfortunately, no word was mentioned on the proposal
again.  Please pardon me to bring your attention again on this issue.  HQ
still firmly believe that the Humanitarian rescue is an important task of
this term's HQ as well as the council and the proposal by the HQ is
significant and feasible.  We would like to hear your decision on the issue
soon.

====================== <<<<< Under the Sunshine >>>>> ======================
4. IFCSS Exchange Working Committee Work Report ......................... 97
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: WU Yegang <[email-masked]>, 11/18/94

            A Report from the IFCSS Exchange Working Committee

                      Dr. Yegang Wu, Acting Chair
                          (November 17, 1994)

The IFCSS Exchange Working Committee (EWC) is set up for the purpose of,
1) promoting IFCSS positive image of grass-root and serve CSS academic
communities, 2) linking IFCSS to CSS academic organizations and strengthening
their relationship, and 3) helping China academically and broaden IFCSS'
influence in China.

The committee is in a process of compiling a directory of CSS academic and
professional organizations in the U.S.  The directory will provide an official
connection between IFCSS and the presidents of those organizations.

The EWC is seeking co-sponsors from those organizations or individuals who
are interested in holding workshops and seminars in China.  The EWC will
provide match funds to exchange programs.  The committee begins to accept
proposals.  Please send your proposal to Dr. WU Yegang via E-mail to,
<[email-masked]> or post mail,

		Yegang WU
		ESRD-7140, SFWMD,
		3301 Gun Club Road,
		West Palm Beach, FL 33414.

The EWC encourages CSS personals in serving the committee and CSS community.
If you are interested, please contact HQ at <[email-masked]>.

======================= <<<<< Together We Can >>>>> ========================
5. Artistic Work for IFCSS Newsletter and 1995 Calendar Solicited ....... 43
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_From: IFCSS HQ <[email-masked]>, 11/15/94

   Artistic Work for IFCSS Newsletter and IFCSS 1995 Calendar Solicited

The volume 6 of IFCSS newsletter <<XUE>> (Chinese print version) will soon
make its debut, with a whole new design -- an attractive full-color cover
-- and a table of content that suggests broader grassroots involvement in
the editorial decisions.  Again, our primary goal is to engage more people
to contribute thoughtful and provocative articles or stories (preferably in
Chinese) to this publication so that it reflects a broader spectrum of
interests and concerns in our community.  If you have recently written any
essay or narrative that deals with some aspect of the American society with
a cross-cultural implication, or any experience unique to our group, please
do share it with us.

For the first issue, a well-known Chinese artist currently residing in the
U.S. graciously permitted us to reprint one of his fine portraits.  For the
following issues we would like to give the space to some less well-known, or
as yet unknown Chinese artists who are seriously pursuing their artistic
vision and who have yet to find recognition in the world.  If you have any
Chinese artist friends who would like to display one of their "masterpieces"
in the cover of our newsletter to expose themselves to a larger audience
outside of the solitary confinement of their studio, please bring them to our
attention. We would be open to the content and style of the art work
submitted.

At the meantime, we are preparing to design an IFCSS 1995 calendar that will
be enclosed in the next issue if enough fund can be raised.  We call for your
contribution of artistic works like photos, paintings, computer-aid graphic
designs etc.

For consideration, please send in a slide of the art work, if possible, so
as to minimize distortion in the printing process; if not, a clear color
photo is acceptable.  In a separate piece of paper please give the title of
the work and a brief bio of the artist (in Chines, if you will), including
the primary medium and subject matter (if any) of his or her work.  It is our
hope that in doing this we are helping to draw more attention to a circle of
people who may be less prominent in our community but whose pursuit and
struggle has a universal meaning.

By the way, if you would like to receive a free copy of the latest issue of
the IFCSS Newsletter, please send us an e-mail or call us.  You could also
help us distribute the Newsletter to more readers by providing us with the
name and mailing address of the president of the CSSA at your school and your
foreign/international student advisor.  Your assistance will be greatly
appreciated.

Like a toddler who is just learning to walk, our Newsletter needs the
tenderness, care and encouragement of a loving parent.  Let's all lend it a
hand.

Please send your contribution or recommendation to the IFCSS HQ at: IFCSS,
733 15th St. N.W., Suite 440, Washington, DC 20005.

====================== <<<<< Together We Can >>>>> =========================
6. Special Report on the Incident of YANG Xiaohong's Abnormal Death .....110
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(1) From: YANG Xiaofeng <[email-masked]>, 11/16/94

Dear all:

A tragedy has happened to my family in China. The main purpose of this letter
is to ask you, my friends and colleagues here in US, for advice.  My brother
was taken into a police station and six hours latter was pronounced dead. My
mentally unstable mother has not been informed yet.  And all my family want
to know is what happened in those few hours in the police station.  Your
suggestion on how I can help my family to get a fair investigation on my
brother's death will be deeply appreciated.

What we can do here is to show the concerned departments in China that we
overseas students and scholars Do care and fear for our relatives lives back
in China, as well as our own lives when we go back to China (please recall the
incident in a Shanghai hospital).

Any advice, particularly legal advice, will be very helpful.

Xiao Feng Yang
Materials Engineering
Auburn University AL
--------------------------------------
Appendix: What happened to my brother?
--------------------------------------
My only younger brother, a college graduate, 27 years old, married one year
ago, had some argument with a taxi driver when he was sending one of his
friends home, who was drunk, on November 9, 1994. The taxi driver brought in
the police and my brother was taken into a police station about middle night
in Gui Yang City , Gui Zhou Province, China,. The next morning his friends
learned that he was taken into custody and went to the police station to
inquire at 8 am and were only  told that he was sent to a hospital but were
not informed which one. His friends finally found him in a hospital but only
a very cold body, a 27 year old, newly married, cold body.  The police station
finally came up with an explanation that my brother jumped out of window at
about 3:00 am and was pronounced dead at about 6 am in that hospital.

He was taken into a police station with a young life and come out with a cold
body a few hours latter.

A life, my only brother's life, like any of our relatives' in China, should
have been taken away so easily and simply. He argued with a taxi drive and
was taken into a police station and was sent out in a cold body a few hours
later. And it happened in my hometown, my motherland, a place I love and miss
so much. I find it so difficult to put together the two facts that my
brother's tragically easy and quick death and that it happened in my
motherland. Many other more tragic incidents have happened in China but this
one is much more real to me.

What a place is China???  I feel so much more pain than anger.

I am still hoping my motherland can give me an explanation and let me regain
my trust and my faith that it is still a place an ordinary person can be
there safely without fearing that his/her life will be taken away so simply
and easily by a short visit to a police station.

One's life can be taken away so plainly in China!?
                _________     _________     _________

(2) From: Mi Mi <[email-masked]>, 11/17/94

This morning, it came to my attention that, a young live vanished half a
world away. When our memory is still fresh from the Mr. ZHAO Hua's tragedy
almost one year ago, what should we do at this time? In a sense, he is not
your brother. He might be a total stranger to you until now. But, tomorrow
it can be your brother. Your loved ones. If we let injustice to stand, then
someday, somehow, we can be victimized in the same way. So, in this sense,
he IS your brother.

What to do?

1) Raise Fund to support the widow of our brother,
2) Call the Embassy here and Gui Yang City to express your concerns,
3) Let the local Police Pct and related organizations in China know that we
   demand the truth and justice.

Mi Mi Sr.
                _________     _________     _________

(3) From: Mi Mi <[email-masked]>, 11/17/94

... The victim's body is in the autopsy. It is said the young man was
apparently "beaten very badly" before the death.  Such police brutality is
really shocking to us!

I had called the Mayor Office of Gui Yang City this morning, and talked with
the officer there. I told him I was calling from U.S. He was well aware of
this incident, so that I even did not have to mention the reason I called,
since, as he said, several people from overseas called him already. According
to him, the victim took a cab and was drunk, so the driver drove his friend
and him to the Police.  From there, he jumped from a window and was killed. I
told him we overseas Chinese were very concerned about this tragedy, and urge
him to investigate the incident and find out the truth.  He said the
prosecutors are looking into this case, and promised to pay attention to it.
Then I left my phone numbers and name to him.

As we said, this might be some else's brother to you. But, it could be
yours. Please voice yourself and call the following numbers to voice
your concerns for the justice and fair investigation

Mr. Mi Mi Sr. (HUANG Lin)

[CSS Today Editor's Note: The phone numbers to call:

           86-(851)-525-818 (night China time, Gui Yang major's office)
           86-(851)-522-315 (day China time, Gui Yang major's office)
           86-(851)-524-163 (Gui Yang major direct line)
           86-(851)-524-915 (Gui Yang City Government fax number)
           86-(851)-522-274 (Gui Yang Public Security Dept.)
           86-(851)-622-778 (Governor of GuiZhou Province)
           86-(851)-627-250 (Law Division of Provincial People's Congress)]

====================== <<<<< Readers' Comments >>>>> =======================
7. Different Accounts on Where LU Wenhe's Anger Came From (2 Items) .... 100
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Abridged by: CSS Today
[Editor's Note: All previous mails referred to in the following items have
                been carried by CSS Today.]

(1) From: LAI Annzhi <[email-masked]>, 11/11/94

Dear Editor of CSS TODAY,

I wish to share some of my observations regarding some messages carried on
CSS TODAY.

Part of a message in Issue 9407 from [email-masked] reads, "I am very
upset to read the accusation that the chairperson of IFCSS Civil Rights
Committee and F-CBS committee, Mr HUANG Lin, as a CCP spy based on his
activities in leading the Chinese community to fight against CBS biased
report".

Then, in Issue 9409, you published those accusations towards Mr HUANG Lin
without providing the reasons how those accusations came about, and thus
creating an impression that they came about indeed "based on his activities
in leading the Chinese community to fight against CBS biased report".

The matter of fact is that this round of cross fire was triggered exactly
by CSS TODAY, I am afraid. In Issue 9406, two messages from SCC were quoted
in their original words without comments from the editor. One of the quoted
messages said that the IFCSS was getting financial support from Taiwan
before, and the other was saying that the IFCSS is now receiving support
from the Chinese government.

These two quotes brought about a serious controversy among IFCSS activists.
Some argued that it was very irresponsible for CSS TODAY to do so because it
not only confuses people, but also brings damages to the IFCSS, of which CSS
TODAY is an official publication. Indeed, quoting messages of such type in
the official publication of the IFCSS not only increases the difficulties
in fund raising from existing resources, but may also jeopardize the effort
finding new resources.

On the other hand, some others argued that there was nothing wrong to do so
because of freedom of speech/press. CSS TODAY merely redistributed messages
that were already in the public domain. As far as I know, Mr HUANG Lin was
in favor of the latter arguments. The debate within the IFCSS seemed to get
rather emotional, and Mr HUANG Lin, according to himself, was questioned
privately and rather unexpectedly if he was a CCP member. Particularly,
Mr. HUANG Lin revealed to those IFCSS activists the private message from
Mr LU Wenhe, which I believe was the same one you carried in Issue 9409.

While it is another issue subject to discussion whether or not this private
message to Mr HUANG Lin in some explicit languages was a justified one, I
want to point out that the dispute had nothing to do with the CBS event, not
even to mention "based on his activities in leading the Chinese community to
fight against CBS biased report".

Again, I appeal to all those who care about the future of the IFCSS: Be
more tolerant, more open minded. It is not a healthy mentality to question
one's background for a practical matter. On the other hand, I appeal to you,
the editors of CSS TODAY, make every effort possible to play a more
constructive role in and for the IFCSS.

Thanks for your attention.
               _________     _________     _________     

(2) From: HUANG Lin <[email-masked]>, 11/13/94

My account of being accused as a CCP by some IFCSS activists.

The recent accusation started on Friday, October 28, when Mr. LU Wenhe, a
6th IFCSS Council member, suddenly sent me an e-mail, charging me as a
communist with very explicit, abusive language. I must say, the privacy of
any decent private messages should be honored no matter what. However, this
rule does not apply to blackmails. So, I made it public in the IFCSS V net
as well as FCBS networks, to call the public attention for the justice.
However, to my surprise, two IFCSS activists responded promptly, pressing
for my confession to this blackmail.

I really do not know why someone hates me so much. What kind of remarks I
had made in the public which were helping CCP? So far there is no
satisfactory answer to me. Yet, an apparent explanation has been offered.
According to this explanation, Mr. LU got angry because of my comments
regarding a piece of CHEN Dong's message. Then let us look at those. My
comment on CHEN Dong's response was very clear:

1) I did not think carrying these quotes by CSS Today was appropriate.

2) I raised a specific question concerning a similar incident, That was about
an signed article by the Chair of 6th IFCSS Council, Mr. LI Jinghong, which
was published on August 19. 1994's edition of Press Freedom Guardian, saying
"We'd rather voted for pro-CCP (for the president of IFCSS), than voted for
WANG Bingzhang (in 6da)". In Mr. LI Jinghong's article, those two "pro-CCP"
Presidential Candidates were Mr. LUO Ning and Mr. LIU Chengyan.

Since both cases involving charging IFCSS current leadership or IFCSS as
pro-CCP or CCP backed, the two cases were similar, then why there was nothing
said about the Mr. LI Jinghong's article?

Here I must say, finding excuses from my above comments is ridiculous, since
I was not for that anonymous post at all. Of course I also stated later that,
according to the First Amendment, there is nothing wrong there if the editors
decided to quote something. It only matters when either the journal's or
editor's credibility is concerned. We simply can not, use double-standards.

Also, I must point out the fact that, almost all of the prominent CBS-IC
leadership, both at local and national levels, have been accused or alleged
as communists or pro-CCP, by, sadly, some leading members of 6th IFCSS
Council members, in one way or another.

All in all, I wish all the concerned parties can calm down and think it over
again. We are human beings, and human beings make mistakes. What is done is
done, there is no way to undo them. But, can we learn something positively
from the past? Can we look forward and become a little bit more mature
tomorrow? There have been too many examples how if we united, we won, and
how if we divided, we lost, ALL TOGETHER.

############################################################################
|       Editor: LIANG Guihe          Deputy Coordinator: YUAN Wei          |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  |
|       IFCSS, 733 15th St. N.W., Suite 440, Washington, DC 20005.         |
|               Phone: (202)347-0017; Fax: (202)347-0018                   |
| ________________________________________________________________________ |
| The Press_Desk serves for multichannel communications among CSS & IFCSS. |
| Please send your comments, questions, criticisms and anything concerning |
| a healthy establishment of IFCSS to:          <[email-masked]>          |
|                                                                          |
| To subscribe to IFCSS Press_Desk publications, please send mail to       |
|                      [email-masked]                                  |
| with the mail body:  sub PBS-L last_name first_name (for signing on)     |
|                 or:  unsub PBS-L last_name first_name (for signing off)  |
| For more information about IFCSS, its Service Program and publications,  |
| ftp/gopher to <ifcss.org> or use mosaic (www) to: http://ifcss.org:8001/ |
############################################################################