Subject: final draft posted

From: "Yungui G. Ding" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 22:52:32 -0600 (CST)

%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
*****      Like Phoenix Rising From the Ashes, CSS Today Is Reborn     *****
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=

                                                                o
                                                               o%
         From the cataclysm                                   //
                                                         -="~\
                between flame and mist,                    ~\\\
                                                             \\\
         We came,                                             \\\
                                                               );\
                For a spirit, a quest ...                     /|;;\
                                                         """;;;;;;;\
                                                   ///"""""""";;;;;;\
                                       ___////+++++""""""""""""";;;@@\
                         __________///////++++++++++++++""""""""@@@@%)
              ....__/0)///0)//0)//0)/++////////++++++++++"""@@@%%%%%/
        ..---0)/--------////////////////+++++++/////+++++@@%%%%%%%/
         ..///---0)---0)///0)//0)///0)/////////+++++====@%%%%%%/
      ...0)....//----///------////////////+++++///"     \/\\//
         //../0)--0)///0)///0)///0)//++++/////          /  \/
         --///--------///////////+++/////             _/   /
   .-//..0).-/0)--0)--0)--0)--..                      /\  /
          .......--/////////.                            /\_
               .0)..0)..

############################################################################
   T h e   E l e c t r o n i c    N e w s l e t t e r    o f  \   \ C S S
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%\   \%=%=%=%=
          ____________       ____________       _____________   \ N \
        /   _____     ))   /    _________))   /    __________))  \   \
       /   //    )____))  {    ((________    {    ((_________     \ E \
      {   ||     _____     \_________    ))   \_________     ))    \   \
       \   \\____)    ))   __________)   ))   ___________)   ))     \ W \
        \____________//   (_____________//   (______________//       \   \
                                                                      \   \ 
          ]]]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]   ]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]            \
             ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]  ]]   ]]              \  
             ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]]]]]]]   ]] ]]    =========== \ 
             ]]]    ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]] ]]]   ]]]    ]]]      No. 94015   \
             ]]]     ]]]]]]]  ]]]]]]]]  ]]]   ]]]    ]]]   __ 1994.12.4 __ \ 

%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=
CSS Today Editorial Board                             <[email-masked]>
%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=%=

IN THIS ISSUE:                                                   No of Lines
============================================================================
1. An Editorial Notice ................................................... 9
2. CSS Today Editorial: On IFCSS Council Resolution CR6015 .............. 40
   Appendix: Resolution CR6015 and Voting Record ........................ 34
3. Introduction to new CSS Today ....................................... 100
============================================================================

============================================================================
1. An Editorial Notice ................................................... 9
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
From: CSS Today Editorial Board, 12/4/94 

As the result of IFCSS Council Resolution 6015, CSS Today as the IFCSS
Newsletter stops its activities immediately. 

The Editorial Board has decided to continue CSS Today as an independent
publication starting from this issue.                                                                                
============================================================================
2. CSS Today Editorial: On IFCSS Council Resolution CR6015 .............. 40
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
By: CSS Today Editorial Board, 12/4/94 
 
Fifteen years ago, Mr. Wei Jinsheng's expression of ideas could not survive
in Beijing;  Five years ago, World Economic Herald was forced to shut down in
Shanghai.  Today, in a totally different country, within truth-seeking IFCSS,
CSS Today, the IFCSS HQ Newsletter has to repeat the similar fate, with even
shorter life-span. It is a real irony in history.

Last weekend, the IFCSS Council passed a resolution on CSS Today, sponsored
by Mr. XIN Ku and Mr. LI Jinghong.  That resolution effectively bans the
publication of CSS Today as the IFCSS HQ Newsletter. 

IFCSS was founded on the principles of democracy, of which the freedom of
press is a substantial part. A resolution to forbid the publication of an
electronic newsletter can hardly be reconciled with the lofty principles on
which IFCSS is based. We are saddened by such wanton disregard of the
purpose and principles of IFCSS.

Indeed, this may look like an "internal control" issue without anything to
do with "press freedom", as some suggested. Unfortunately, such arguement
is not new at all. It has been used by CCP to shut down anything they did
not like. It is not an issue of press freedom, it is a matter of control, a
control of media. One can always argue that, but to us, an effectively
controlled media is just the hallmark of dictatorship, which is just the
opposite of the spirit of press freedom.

In the less than two months of the Newsletter's short existence, We the
volunteer editors have tried our best to put together fourteen issues in an
effort to premote free flow of information in a democratic, rational and
open environment in the CSS community. We made progress and won many 
readers' support. Certainly there are still many aspects in our work that
need improvement, but none of them warranted a shut-down of CSS Today.

Fortunately, now is no longer then. Here is no longer there. We are no 
longer what we were. In accordance with the IFCSS Council resolution, the
CSS Today Editorial Board has decided to cease to be the IFCSS HQ
Newsletter. At the same time, the Editorial Board has also decided to go
ahead with CSS Today as an independent publication. We are determined to
serve the CSS community by enhancing communications among the CSS, IFCSS,
and other CSS organizations.

At the time of transition, our sincere thanks go to all those who show
their their supports to and concerns about CSS Today. We also would like
to salute the council members Mr. LIU Cheng, Ms. LU Shuping, Mr. TANG
Guangzhong, Mr. TANG Yingxing, and Mr. YU Senqiu, who did not support the
XIN/LI resolution. Although their votes could not stop the resolution to
pass, their courage to vote on principles bear the hope and future of IFCSS. 

                   - - - - -     - - - - -      - - - - - 

Appendix: IFCSS Council Resolution CSS Today 
          From LI Jinghong <[email-masked]>, 12/1/94
          Source: <[email-masked]>

CR6015
Resolution on CSS-today and Newly Created  Official Positions
Xin Ku / Li Jinghong
Adopted with 11 Yeas, 2 Nays and 3 Abstains
By the 6th council on Nov 26, 1994

Whereas the Council is unaware of any proposal from the president to
establish the Electronic Newsletter of IFCSS and the related nomination,
as well as several newly created official positions;

Be it resolved,

That the HQ is required to summit all proposals, nominations for such
electronic newsletter and/or new positions to the Council for approval
before taking any further activity.  Hence, the unauthorized CSS-Today
and its computer accounts shall suspend their activity immediately; those
unauthorized new positions and their titles shall not be used in any form
upon the adoption of this resolution.

-----------------------------------------
Appendix: Voting records on IFCSS CR6015
-----------------------------------------
Ge, Xun          Y                 Li, J.Hong        Y
Lu, Shuping      N                 Lu, Wenhe         Y
Liu, Cheng       N                 Liu, Xiang        Y
Qi, Jushen       Y                 Shao Qing         Y
Sun, Ying        Y                 Tang, G.Zhong     A
Tang, Y.Xing     A                 Tao, Ye           Y
Xin, Ku          Y                 Yu, Senqiu        A
Zhang, T.Tong    Y                 Zhong, Ling       Y

Note: Y -- Yah; N -- Ney;  A -- Abstain.

============================================================================
3. Introduction to the new CSS Today ................................... 100
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
By: CSS Today Editorial Board, 12/4/94 
 
CSS Today is an electronic newsletter for the CSS Community published by
the CSS Today Editorial Board, which consists of a group of volunteers that
are committed to the CSS Community for your right to know.

As an independent communication media, CSS Today will strive to keep its   
readers to be informed of activities and developments that are happening in
the community. 

CSS Today continues its commitment to the communications among CSS and
IFCSS as well as other CSS community organizations.

Various columns are designed/redefined to facilitate the information flow.
The following is a brief introductions of them. 
 
A. Overview
 
Coordination Columns:
      * IFCSS Watch           
      * Face-to-Face Dialogue
      * Together We Can 
      * Under the Sunshine
      
Community Columns:
      * In the Community
      * Information Sharing
      * Between Readers and Editors 

Invited Columns: 
      * Voice from Campus
      * Perspective and Humor 
      * Business Information 

Special Columns: 
      * Open Forum
      * Eye on China
 
(Other columns will be added when it is needed.)

B. Part I: Coordination Columns: 
   
*** IFCSS Watch 
In this column We will report the policy announcement, news release, and
other activities of IFCSS and other CSS organizations. 
 
*** Face-to-Face Dialogue:
In this column, various questions will be presented together with the
responses from the IFCSS as well as other organizations.
 
*** Together We Can:
This column is for IFCSS as well as other organizations to issue
announcements of their work plans, project progress, and other nation wide
coordinated activities. 
 
*** Under the Sunshine:
This column will report what IFCSS and other organizations is doing in
their day-to-day operations.
 
C. Part II: Community Columns:                  

*** In the Community:
In this this column we will report the activities and developments happening
in our community that concern CSS.

*** Information Sharing:
This column is for the general public to share with the readers their
study, work, and life experience in the US schools and American society. 

*** Between Readers and Editors 
Readers' comment and letters and editors' response will be carried in this
column. 
 
D. Part IV: Invited Columns: 

*** Voice from Campus 
Special columnist(s) will be invited to run this column. The scope of this
column is for local and national CSS organizations and their leaders to 
report their organizational activities and share work experience and raise
the concerns from campus about CSS community. 
 
*** Perspective and Humor 
A columnist will be invited to run this column. The columnist will be
responsible for its editing and content. 

*** Business Information 
A columnist will be invited to run this column to provide business information
to the CSS Community.

E. Part IV: Special Columns: 
 
*** Open Forum:
This column will carry discussions on CSS community related issues.
      
*** Eye on China
In this column, we will report activities that IFCSS and other organizations
carry out to conduct exchange with and promote human rights in China. We 
will also carry other important development inside/related to China. 

############################################################################
|  Editor of this issue: LIANG Guihe     Deputy Coordinator: DING Yungui   |
| - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  |
| CSS Today is a publication of  the CSS Today Editorial Board devoted to  |
| the CSS community for your right to know.   What CSS Today carries does  |
| not necessarily reflect the opinion of the editors.                      |
| ________________________________________________________________________ |
|                                                                          |
|  CSS Today welcomes contributions, comments, questions, criticisms and   |
|  anything concerning a healthy establishment of the CSS community. For   |
|  question, please inquire to:                                            |
|                                                                          |
|                        <[email-masked]>                            |
############################################################################