Subject: IC940803: Underwriting, Historical data, WCII

From: "Gray Zhu, 800-289-2498, 212-279-6700" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Aug 94 22:50:35 CDT

==================    IC940803: Investment Club  ======================

1. What are "underwrite" and "over-allotment" .......... Gray Zhu
2. WinStar, historical data  ........................... Gray Zhu
_______________________________________________________________________
   (be sure to read the Disclaimer in the end if you have not read)

1. What are "underwrite" and "over-allotment" .......... Gray Zhu

> From: [email-masked]
> Can you explain to me what is "underwrite" and "over-allotment" to me?

If the company (issuer of the stock) is the author of a book, the
underwriter is the publisher and distributor of the book. underwrite
is the process of underwriting. Typically, underwriter(s) is a
investment banking firm (brokerage firm). The first time stock
offering is called Initial Public Offering (IPO).

Underwriter could be more than one firms. They assign each selling how
many shares of the stock, Over-allotment happens when one or more of
the underwriting group (Syndicate) members sold more than they are
assigned to. How come? before the IPO comes, the brokers receive
indication of purchases from customer without actually selling, There
could be more shares wanted by customers than they have.

Over allotment can be solved by issuing more shares, or adjusted
within the selling group.

==================================================================
2. WinStar, historical data  ............................ Gray Zhu

>From [email-masked]  Wed Aug  3 13:52:59 1994
>Subject: WinStar ...

>>1. WCII - A wireless communication company
>>
>>I have just got some information about WinStar Communications,
>>Inc. The Symbol is WCII, I have roughly looked through some. Probably
>>some of you are interested in following it.

>Is this WinStar focusing on wireless communication for telephone lines?
>I heard about a company is beginning to do this business.  And
>from technical point of view, that technoloy could save phone
>company millions of dollars over the current technology.  

>I have a question.  If I am interested in a stock, how would I be able
>to get the history data of that stock?

Exactly, winstar is focusing on wireless comm. it is a new low cost
long-distance carrier.

There are plenty of places to find historical data, such as PRODIGY,
telescan 2000, stock data corp. (relatively cheap if you want many
stocks), Free financial network (FFN), quote.com, etc..., mostly you
have to pay.

There is a free place to annonymous ftp:
ftp.ai.mit.edu:/pub/stocks/results/ 
there are hundreds of stocks there, but the one you want may not be
there.  you can also chart the stocks if you use WWW (Mosaic). And
there are a few other places also, but there is no free, complete
stock data. read usenet misc.invest... faq for details

I do have a friend who has about 3-year 8000 historical stocks and
futures data, which could be offered for sale in the future - if there
is enough interests, and it is going to be cheap. In addition, he has
a package of real-time stock screening C and FORTRAN code. My friend
does fulltime trading past a few years successfully, he runs his
programs everynight to find good technical buys.

==========================================================================
                           Disclaimers:

 a) Material on ICnet  is for general information only, and made available
    to  voluntary  subscribers  (subscription  is  free).    There  is  no
    guarantee of  accuracy in either text or numbers, so please read  with
    your own discretion.  Opinion expressed by any author is  his own, not
    necessarily  his  employer's.  Nobody on  the icnet-l or related (Hong
    Guang, Gray Zhu or their employers, or any other members, or ifcss.org
    which is the  ftp provider) except yourself assumes any responsibility
    for any consequences of using the material.

 b) You are free to forward and copy the material  for private use. If you
    do forward, it is mandatory to let it ALWAYS GO  WITH DISCLAIMER.  Use 
    of the material for commercial  purpose without written consent of the 
    author is prohibited.

 c) Any past performance examples should  not be considered a guarantee of
    future   results.    Any  company mentioned   does    not constitute a
    recommendation by anybody.

==========================================================================
For specific recommendations and info on IC-VIP, contact [email-masked] 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ICnet - Investment Club on network
__________________________________________________________________________
  SUB/SIGNOFF to: [email-masked], with mailbody as:
                  SUB ICNET-L Firstname Lastname or: SIGNOFF ICNET-L
  Post mail to:   [email-masked]
  Anonymous ftp:  at ifcss.org, in direcctory: /org/icnet
  Gopher:         /org/icnet on ifcss.org, /ifcss/org/icnet on cnd.org
  Managers:       Guang Hong, [email-masked]
                  Gray Zhu, [email-masked] (800)-289-2498
__________________________________________________________________________
     ALL INVESTMENTS INVOLVE RISK, STUDY CAREFULLY BEFORE INVESTING.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~