Subject: IC940815: Surprise: Mutual Fund investors are still Upbeat

From: "Gray Zhu, 800-289-2498, 212-279-6700" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 94 14:33:00 CDT

==================    IC940815: Investment Club  ======================

News on Business Week
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1. Briefs
2. Surprise! Mutual Fund Investors are still upbeat
_______________________________________________________________________
   (be sure to read the Disclaimer in the end if you have not read)

1. Briefs

* Engines that run on water? An inventor has patented a fuel that's
half gasoline, half H2O. the mixture gets better mileage from the
gasoline it contains and emits significantly less pullution. In
Reno(NV), city bus began use the fuel on Oct. 5, 1993, found a 29%
miles increase in mileage. - Could be big to oil and auto industry.

* Bulls on the runway start to bellow. - Airline industry starts to
turnaround.

* Airwave auctions work, not all auctions do. After decades of handing
out virtually free licenses for the nation's airwaves, the federal
government has wised up and started charging. The recent auctions of
licenses for paging and interactive television raised an unexpected
$833 million, and an auction for personal communications services
could net over $10 billion.

2. Surprise! Mutual Fund Investors are still upbeat

Mutual-fund investors seem to be shrugging off the market's ominous
atmospherics. Fully 94% say they are somewhat or very confident that
their investments are safe, and only 24% say they plan to shrink their
holdings. They are a pretty savvy lot, too. For the most part, they
know that investing comes with risks, and they don't expect the
government or anyone else to make up losses. But investors may feel
less sangune after a peek at their next quarterly statements: 65%
think they've makd money in mutual funds so far this year - and the
way things have been going, most of them are probably wrong.

the following is part of the Business Week/Harris Poll

FAITH IN MUTUALS: how confident are you that your investments in
mutual funds are reasonably safe?

very confident		35%
somewhat confident	59%
not very confident 	 5%
not at all confident	 1%
not sure 		 0%

PAST ACTIONS: Have you switched from one fund to another to taken
money out of a fund at any time over the last six months because of
you were concerned about the safety of your money?

yes		10%
no		90%
not sure	 0%

CHANCES OF A CRASH: Over the next 12 months, how would you rate the
chance of another big crash in the stock market:

very likely		 6%
somewhat likely 	34%
not very likely		48%
not likely at all	 9%
not sure		 3%

SKETCHY KNOWLEDGE: How good an idea do you think you have of what kind
of securities your mutual fund can invest in?

A good idea 		25%
a fair idea 		49%
no idea at all		25%
not sure		 1%

==========================================================================
                           Disclaimers:

 a) Material on ICnet  is for general information only, and made available
    to  voluntary  subscribers  (subscription  is  free).    There  is  no
    guarantee of  accuracy in either text or numbers, so please read  with
    your own discretion.  Opinion expressed by any author is  his own, not
    necessarily  his  employer's.  Nobody on  the icnet-l or related (Hong
    Guang, Gray Zhu or their employers, or any other members, or ifcss.org
    which is the  ftp provider) except yourself assumes any responsibility
    for any consequences of using the material.

 b) You are free to forward and copy the material  for private use. If you
    do forward, it is mandatory to let it ALWAYS GO  WITH DISCLAIMER.  Use 
    of the material for commercial  purpose without written consent of the 
    author is prohibited.

 c) Any past performance examples should  not be considered a guarantee of
    future   results.    Any  company mentioned   does    not constitute a
    recommendation by anybody.

==========================================================================
For specific recommendations and info on IC-VIP, contact [email-masked] 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ICnet - Investment Club on network
__________________________________________________________________________
  SUB/SIGNOFF to: [email-masked], with mailbody as:
                  SUB ICNET-L Firstname Lastname or: SIGNOFF ICNET-L
  Post mail to:   [email-masked]
  Anonymous ftp:  at ifcss.org, in direcctory: /org/icnet
  Gopher:         /org/icnet on ifcss.org, /ifcss/org/icnet on cnd.org
  Managers:       Guang Hong, [email-masked]
                  Gray Zhu, [email-masked] (800)-289-2498
__________________________________________________________________________
     ALL INVESTMENTS INVOLVE RISK, STUDY CAREFULLY BEFORE INVESTING.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~