Subject: IC940920: Market Tumbled Today

From: Gray Zhu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 94 17:52:12 CDT

==================    IC940920: Investment Club  ======================

1. Market tumbled ........................................... Gray Zhu
2. A Letter from CCTV@******.wustl.edu ...................... CCTV
_______________________________________________________________________
   (be sure to read the Disclaimer in the end if you have not read)

-------------------------------
1. Market Drop 

The market tumbled due to the reasons that the US trade deficit
(import demand) and fear of inflation. Dow Jones Industrial Index down
67 points, S&P 500 down 7.5 points, and Nasdaq composite index down
about 10 points. Financial Services stocks lead the way, i.e.,
brokerage firms, regional banks, etc.

Also, heard that three top Micron Technology (MU, NYSE) officers
including president and vice presidents will leave the company next
month, reason unknown. It may concern our MU fans.

-------------------------------
2. A Letter from CCTV@******.wustl.edu .............. CCTV

>From: CCTV@******.wustl.edu

Hello Gray and Ning:

This weekend I closely read through your Newton Fund postings and
learned much more.  (You may not remember who ******** **** is: I
indicated xxK last week and mentioned I graduated from Peking U.,
Phys.  Dept too, and had a conversation with Ning and increased my
share to xxK.)  Last week when I indicated my share and when Ning
called me, I had only browsed through less than a quarter of them,
therefore the questions I asked Ning were unnecessary, since most of
them were already answered in your postings.  My apology.

While reading your postings, I become more and more excited,
encouraged, and interested.  I have a similar background as yours.
For years, I have been wondering those questions that your postings
had just answered.  I have been interested in finance/trading,
although I don't have an MBA.  I have been thinking how much more
potential the market has?  It seems to me that existing math methods
and artificial intelligence have not be fully used in this area; it
seems that there is a pretty large potential.  I thought, based on my
ability and background of math, data processing, computer literacy
etc., if I work in this area, I will probably outperform at least
average level.  On the other hand, I know that big companies are using
supercomputers doing their market analysis.  Is the potential really
big?  With my very limited resource, is it really worth to invest my
time on this uncertain field?  Now, your practice told me that, yes,
there is big potential, and at least it IS possible for people like me
to be successful, although it may not be easy.  Congratulations to
your success!  I am more convinced that market is a good place we
Chinese can develop and believe there will be more and more successful
stories.

I am sure you have a greater prospect in your mind than just Newton
Fund.  There will be a time when you want to expand your business.
When this time comes I hope that I will have a chance to contribute.
I am willing to sell my house and quit my current job and come.  My
interest in the Fund has been beyond making money from my share.  I hope
some day, in some form I can involve more in your development.  Before
that time, I wish that I can have a chance to visit your place (if
it's o.k.) and to know you better.

Best wishes,

-CCTV

(answered questions omitted - Gray)

==========================================================================
                           Disclaimers:

 a) Material on ICnet  is for general information only, and made available
    to  voluntary  subscribers  (subscription  is  free).    There  is  no
    guarantee of  accuracy in either text or numbers, so please read  with
    your own discretion.  Opinion expressed by any author is  his own, not
    necessarily  his  employer's.  Nobody on  the icnet-l or related (Hong
    Guang, Gray Zhu or their employers, or any other members, or ifcss.org
    which is the  ftp provider) except yourself assumes any responsibility
    for any consequences of using the material.

 b) You are free to forward and copy the material  for private use. If you
    do forward, it is mandatory to let it ALWAYS GO  WITH DISCLAIMER.  Use 
    of the material for commercial  purpose without written consent of the 
    author is prohibited.

 c) Any past performance examples should  not be considered a guarantee of
    future   results.    Any  company mentioned   does    not constitute a
    recommendation by anybody.

==========================================================================
For specific recommendations and info on IC-VIP, contact [email-masked] 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  ICnet - Investment Club on network
__________________________________________________________________________
  SUB/SIGNOFF to: [email-masked], with mailbody as:
                  SUB ICNET-L Firstname Lastname or: SIGNOFF ICNET-L
  Post mail to:   [email-masked]
  Anonymous ftp:  at ifcss.org, in direcctory: /org/icnet
  Gopher:         /org/icnet on ifcss.org, /ifcss/org/icnet on cnd.org
  Managers:       Guang Hong, [email-masked]
                  Gray Zhu, [email-masked]
__________________________________________________________________________
     ALL INVESTMENTS INVOLVE RISK, STUDY CAREFULLY BEFORE INVESTING.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~