Subject: Re: What the Hell is going on 95?

From: "John W. Robbins" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Sep 1995 00:23:37 GMT

I've been noticing those funny black boxes on the overpasses 
as well (e.g., on one of the rt. 50 flyovers on the inner loop 
of the beltway) and have been wondering what new "Big Brother" 
tactic this involves. It's interesting that these boxes seem 
to be effecting radar detectors.

This is only a guess, but in the Annapolis Capital newspaper 
there was an article (about a week ago) about some 
computerized MDOT traffic analysis system. These boxes may be 
part of the sensor technology attached to such a system.

Sure would be nice if they'd make their results available on 
the web (a-la the San Diego traffic system). That way we would 
be able to monitor the highways and pick the best time to go 
where ever we're going.

My thoughts only - JWR

---

From: [email-masked] (Dwight Shank)
Date: 11 Sep 1995 14:05:57 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Mike Lastort
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Alan Heitz <[email-masked]> wrote:
> >What I want to know is, what's the deal with my radar detector
> >going nuts on x-band, whenever I drive under an overpass on the
> >Maryland side of the beltway.  I looked up at each overpass, whenever 
> >this happened and there seems to be some sort of detector mounted at 
> >almost every overpass and a few signs as well.  What are these detectors 
> >and what are they used for?  Any thoughts?  Well, I know one thing, it's 
> >making my radar detector go bonkers!
> 
> Yeah, I noticed the same thing the last couple of weeks. The way I figure 
> it is it could be part of an effort to slow people down. Pennsylvania has 
> similar devices mounted in contruction areas, as well as places where 
> slowing down is imperative (e.g. at the end of I-70 in Breezewood).
> 
> Most people who speed probably use a radar detector, and it could be that 
> Maryland wants to control the speeds of those people by filling the 
> airwaves with bogus signals.
> 
My guess is that what you are noticing has been thoughtfully placed on the
bridges by the Maryland State Highway Administration as part of the program
cleverly(?) entitled Chesapeake Highway Advisories Routing Traffic (CHART).
Last week, US Secretary of Transportation Pena and FHWA Administrator Slater
held a ribbon cutting at the operations center near Glen Burnie.  The 
detectors collect information for use by the center in efforts to reduce 
traffic delays by clearing collisions faster and offering alternate routes
when traffic is horrid.  

These radar/microwave detectors replace the loop detectors cut into lanes and
allegedly are cheaper to install and require less maintenance.  They are 
being installed on interstates throughout the state and route 50.  Yes, they 
do measure the speed of the traffic stream as well as count cars.  The folks
at the operations center swear that the speed data are used only by SHA and
are not turned over to the police for speed enforcement.

No, I don't work for the state, but I'm looking at a report that they put
out in 1994 analyzing the program.

Dwight Shank
[email-masked]