Subject: Low Speed Limits Kill

From: [email-masked] (Robert T. Weverka)
Date: 12 Sep 95 13:06:37 GMT

Sunday's Night-Ryder newspapers carried an article/op-ed piece on repeal of
the speed limits.  3/4 of the space was dedicated to people who
think speed kills 1/4 to the opposition.  An insert claimed
12,000 deaths annually "due to speed".

How many people die due to Low Speed Limits?

The average car logs 10,000 miles per year.
thats 182 hours at 55 mph,  154 hours at 65 mph.
55 mph wastes everyone 28 hours per year, for all Americans that comes to
7 billion hours.  or 800,000 man-years.

If we take at face value the "speed kills" advocates' number of 12,000 deaths
per year and figure an average years of life lost of 33 years per death we get
400,000 man-years of life lost "due to speed".

So Low Speed Limits waste twice as much life as traffic accidents "due to speed"
People are dying of old-age waiting to get where there going at these 
rediculously low speeds.

It is clear the Speed Saves Lives.

-Ted