Subject: Re: NEW YORK ABOUT TO UP SPEED LIMIT TO 65!!!!!!!

From: [email-masked] (Alex D Rodriguez)
Date: 16 Apr 1995 12:59:29 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,
Trevor Battle -- WinTrumpet <[email-masked]> wrote:
>	I read an article in the New York Times today that the NY legislature is 
>poised to raise the speed limit on many rural interstates to 65 MPH.   Any 
>comments?
>

It's about time they did!

-----------------                                                             
Alex     __O    '86 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo                                    
       _-\<,_   '87 Alfa Romeo Milano                                       
      (_)/ (_)  '88 Vitus/Dura-Ace

---

From: [email-masked] (Cynthia)
Date: 16 Apr 1995 16:19:34 GMT

>poised to raise the speed limit on many rural interstates to 65 MPH.   Any 

	Gov. Pataki has stated many times, he'ld pass such legislation
into law. My only hope is that liberals do not try to add on addition
baggage to the bill: e.g. some kind of road tax or the like, that could
cause it to be shot down.

>Trevor

--
Please note: This is Keith Ryan posting. Please direct any e-mail
response to either "[email-masked]" or "[email-masked]"

Any typographical or grammatical errors are due to the evil news
machine mulching my post ;)
-- 
--
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon N. Steiger)
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 1995 23:56:20 GMT

Trevor Battle -- WinTrumpet ([email-masked]) wrote:

: 	I read an article in the New York Times today that the NY legislature is 
: poised to raise the speed limit on many rural interstates to 65 MPH.   Any 
: comments?

: Trevor

    I don't like what I see at all.  There are 2 groups, one wants like, 
1400 miles of road to go to 65, the other wants way less to be 65, and only
for a few years.  I don't know what the big deal is...  The only impact 
raising the limit to 65 will have on me will be 10 less mph over the 
limit on my speeding tickets.*  65 is still *way* too slow.  Try driving
140-150mph, and then slowing down to 65.  It feels like 30.  You'd swear
you could open the car door and step out with no worries.

* - haven't gotten a single one yet, but there's always the first time.  ;-)
						-Jon-

+=========================================================================+
||Jon N. Steiger  -  DoD# 1038  -  USUA# A46209  -  KotWitDoDFAQ      _  ||
[email-masked]                                , _.o..__  / \ || 
||http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/                   +********=++-' ||
||-------------------------------------------------       ` o/           ||
||'91 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 / '91 Yamaha FZR600R                  Oo.   || 
||Current lust:  TEAM Inc. 1100R Mini-Max (FAR103 Rotax 277)       |     || 
+=========================================================================+

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Apr 1995 23:40:25 GMT

re:It is funny.  One day you are driving 65 on a 55MPH road.  You are
considered an evil person endangering people and leaving a wake of
death and destruction in your path.

The next day they raise the speed limit to 65 and all of a sudden you
are the model citizen driving at 65MPH in total safety.

Hmm ... what wrong here?

everything, of course.  But thank goodness they're finally raising it.
Our schools will be shit, but at least NY state school students can make
it back to and from vacation with less fear of getting nailed for tickets.
-Ben

---

From: [email-masked] (kwun han)
Date: 29 Apr 1995 00:32:17 GMT

What about the rest of New England? I am sick of the stupid 55mph
limit.
-- 
=) Kwun
-----------------------------------------------------------------
[email-masked]                | Box #2392, Brown University,
[email-masked]              | Providence, RI 02912
-----------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (MikeD30786)
Date: 2 May 1995 13:15:44 -0400

Sigh -- it's a bit too late for me.  I went to school in Connecticut, and
to drive home to Michigan drove through NY and Canada.  Got pulled over
for going SIXTY-TWO in the fifty-five zone -- and the cop had the chutzpah
to ask why I was "whizzing" past him.  "Whizzing?"  You should seen me in
Canada, officer, I found out that my cruise control won't let me maintain
a speed over 92.

 - Mike.

---

From: Dai F Toyama <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 1995 12:27:10 -0700

> are the model citizen driving at 65MPH in total safety.

I guess it's just that it's always wrong to enforce a particular speed 
limit without considering the surrounding situations.  I hope it goes on 
like that; one day they'll find that most drivers do around 75 MPH and 
raise the limit to 75 MPH. :-)

Dai

*=====================================================*
|   DAI F TOYAMA         Computer Science             |
|                        Seattle Pacific University   |
|   Voice Mail/Fax:      (206)284-8420/284-0755       |
|   Cellular phone:      (206)660-4092                |
|   Internet:            <[email-masked]>         |
*=====================================================*

---

From: [email-masked] (John P. Curcio)
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 16:41:19 GMT

>Hmm ... what wrong here?

What is wrong is that the Democrats from New York City have tried
their damnest to control all the citizens of New York State.  With
their idol Mario Cuomo in office, we didn't have a chance for a
realistic speed limit (then again, until the Fair Speed Limit Act is
passed we are still stuck with 65 thanks to the Feds).  Even now, with
a Republican at the helm, it took a lot of hashing out between the
Republican-controlled Senate (who wanted all roads eligible for 65 mph
set to 65 mps) and the Democrat-controlled Assembly (who wanted only
certain stretches to be made 65, which would have made the limit yo-yo
up and down for no apparent reason).  Thankfully, the Assembly gave up
a lot more than the Senate.

>it back to and from vacation with less fear of getting nailed for tickets.

No, our schools won't be shit.  They will just have to cut the fat,
like people in the real world have been doing for years now...

-JPC

-- 
 -<=>- Just say NO! to Budmilloors...   Support your local MICROBREWERY -<=>-
John P. Curcio  [email-masked]  Philips Labs  Briarcliff Manor, NY
   "If nothing beats a Bud, given the choice, I'd take the nothing..."
   "No goats, no boats, no motorcars, not a single 'yes-siree!'"  -BH

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: 28 Apr 1995 23:40:25 GMT

Hmm ... what wrong here?

---

From: [email-masked] (kwun han)
Date: 29 Apr 1995 00:32:17 GMT

---

From: [email-masked] (MikeD30786)
Date: 2 May 1995 13:15:44 -0400

- Mike.