Subject: SPEEDER'S INFO: I95, DE to SC

From: Kayvon A Pirestani <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 12:35:01 -0400

I just took a car trip from Delaware to South Carolina and back (95 all
the way) in a long wheelbase Benz.  A friend of mine was with me to help
look out for the 5-0s.  I had a radar-only detector that saved my ass a
couple  of times.  Here is  what  I saw along the way:

DE: from Wilmington to the MD border, I've never seen a speed trap; also
my radar stayed very quiet.  I feel it's safe  to speed along this strip.

MD: Careful! --  MD was the worst of them all.   My detector didn't go
off once, but I  saw plenty of speed traps;  must use laser or
something;  they're SNEAKY bastards.  I couldn't believe some of the
places they would hide! WATCH OUT FOR THE MEDIANS, concrete dividers or
grassy.

VA: lots of K band (detectors illegal of course); cops  like to  hide in
the wooded medians (Official Use Only gravel turn-around strips); my
dector picked up the bastards' K band every time

NC: same as VA, not as much K band; not nearly as many speed traps as MD/VA

SC: the only cops I saw  were busy pulling a liquor cabinet's worth of
alcohol out  of  this guy's car; the secondary roads are also very
awesome for speeding.  I  averaged  90 on a two lane from 95 to Myrtle
Beach  (it  was 1 in the morning, though).

I'm very happy to say I made the round  trip without one  ticket (which
is saying a lot for me).  However, there were a number of very  close
calls, so I was lucky, too.    On the way back, we recorded our 
distance/time  progress and calculted an average of 72mph for the whole
trip, including time stuck in traffic on the DC beltway...

One thing  that became very apparent as I drove south was that driving 
courtesy increased.  I'm accustomed to asses not moving to the right as
I come up in the left lane, but to my amazement, NC and SC drivers moved
right over 90% of the  time.  

One exception, though: one bastard in a minivan was hogging the left
lane on one twolane portion of 95 in VA.  I flashed  him to move  over,
but to my amazement,  he SLOWED DOWN enough so that he ran right
alongside a school bus! and continued to stay along side the bus so I
could not pass him on the right! I could  not believe  my eyes!  After
20 min of  this  shit, I finally found an opening.  As I passed, I
opened up the sunroof and gave  him  a nice big FUCK YOU as I brought
the Benz back up to 90 (please, no flames from safety/courtesy nazis,
you would be pissed, too).

55 sucks... so does 65

Kayvon Pirestani

---

From: [email-masked] (Lewis Gregory)
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 95 02:48:35 GMT

>dector picked up the bastards' K band every time

   Here in Virginia, cradle of the United States, the state government still
doesn't trust its citizens to handle dangerous items like radar detectors, so
I guess they can get away with using a lot of K-band still.  Like you said,
their favorite hiding spots (on I-81 and I-64 as well, not just I-95) are
the turnaround strips.  They don't run moving radar real often, and seem
really big on VASCAR up around DC.

   BTW, I-95 between here in Richmond and Washington is one of the most goddamn
insane stretches of highway in the universe, IMO.  It's a dangerous combination
of high-speed out-of-staters coming through and locals that do stuff like
Mr. Minivan you describe later in your article.  I'd like to apologize, on behalf
of those drivers here in the Commonwealth who actually have half a clue and
know not to hog left lanes, know how to signal, etc., for any time you run
into any idiots on our highways.  We're not all elderly gentlemen wearing
hats, driving their Caprice at 51 mph in the passing lane. :)

   (Gee, they oughta hire me in the Tourism Department, huh?)

   (I'm a native Virginian, btw, and I love it here)

Check six,
Lewis "Moose" Gregory   }:-)      |  There are no monks in my band
[email-masked]                 |  There are no saints in this land
CIS:  76460,616                   |  I'll be doing all I can
Amateur Radio:  KS4RY             |  If I die an honest man
AW:  6340, C-land, 313th FS       |    -- Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Funky Monks"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOW OPEN!!!..the Moose's Den, under construction: http://www.cris.com/~lgregory
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                 Barney must die...all else is irrelevant.