Subject: Re:SPEED LIMIT UNFAIR

From: [email-masked] (Alice M. Cabrera)
Date: 27 Apr 1995 16:29:50 -0400

Looking over your shoulder will help avoiding a car. I have had several
times where I would have hit the car next to me if I hadn't looked. When I
took driver's ed, she taught us to just turn the head sideways, not back,
and use your eyes to look back to see who is beside you, and she
definitely said to always look before you change, side mirrors _do_not_
cover every part of your car, there are blind spots, mainly beside your car.
Alice
-- 
Alice M. Cabrera
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta Georgia, 30332
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt3220a
Internet: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (John P. Curcio)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 21:05:41 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>,

>cover every part of your car, there are blind spots, mainly beside your car.

That's just my point-- if your side mirrors are adjusted properly,
there are no blind spots.  Drivers education people are as ignorant to
this fact as anyone.  Most people set up their side mirrors so that
they can see down the side of their car, which is not necessary.  They
do this to see behind them, which is redundant and unneccessary, since
the rear is covered by the rear-view mirror).

Try doing this: place your head right up against the drivers side
window.  Adjust the side mirror so that you can barely see down the
side of your car.  Your mirror is now properly adjusted, +/- a bit of
fine tuning.  Now, by looking into the mirror, you will see cars in
what used to be your blind spot.  You can follow them from the rear
view to the side mirror without missing a beat.  By the time that they
are far enough ahead to be outside the side mirror range, you will see
them right outside your drivers side window.  You have eliminated all
blind spots, with no need to dangerously turn your head 180 degrees.

The passenger side mirror should be adjusted in the same fashion,
although it is a little harder to do.

-JPC

-- 
 -<=>- Just say NO! to Budmilloors...   Support your local MICROBREWERY -<=>-
John P. Curcio  [email-masked]  Philips Labs  Briarcliff Manor, NY
   "If nothing beats a Bud, given the choice, I'd take the nothing..."
   "No goats, no boats, no motorcars, not a single 'yes-siree!'"  -BH

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Bin)
Date: 28 Apr 95 17:33:36 GMT

I've been trying to tell my friends that there is no blind spot with
correctly set mirrors and they don't believe me.  They spew the belief
that whatever the DMV says is right.  I've dug up numerous
publications saying otherwise and they still don't believe me.  The
majority of people are too stupid to understand that their rear end
will not hit themselves and therefore insist on looking at it in their
mirrors.

To set the passenger side mirrors, place your head over the center
console and adjust till you barely see the side of the car.  Voila!
No blind spot!  

Till next time.

Eric Bin
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Bin)
Date: 28 Apr 95 17:33:36 GMT

Till next time.

Eric Bin
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (John P. Curcio)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 21:05:41 GMT

-JPC