Subject: Speeding Question.

From: [email-masked] (A Mind Beside Itself)
Date: 10 May 1995 08:44:07 -0400

The other day I was traveling Northbound on I-95 about two miles from the 
NY-CT border.  I was traveling about 72 and noticed a cop about a mile up 
the road.  Of the thousands of times I have been following cops, not one 
has ever pulled me over for gaining on him.  Well this one did.  When I 
was about 100 yards in back of him, he began to slow down as did I.  He 
slowed enought to the point where i passed him going 55.  He then got 
behind me and turned on his lights.  When he pulled me over he asked if I 
knew how fast I was going.  I said 62.  He said since he was going 67.  I 
must have been going faster.  The ticket says speeding 67 in a 55 using 
the pace method.  My question is this: How from 100 yards in back of him 
could he possibly paced me? Is there a legal definition and procedure to 
pacing someone?  Whats the strategy for fighting this in court? 

thanks in advance
Barry
-- 

[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (ATTGeorgeW)
Date: 10 May 1995 11:46:50 -0400

Your speeding ticket sounds pretty bogus.  I would go to 
court and ask if there is a documented procedure for pacing 
cars that are well behind the police car.  Is he claiming that 
he paced you before or after you passed him?  He may just 
lie in court and say that he paced you after he passed him, 
but you could argue that you wouldn't have passed him if you 
were speeding.  If he says that he paced you while you were 
behind him, you can ask several questions such as:
- Is it documented anywhere how to pace a vehicle well behind?
- how could he get any good distance approximations from looking 
  in the rear view mirror?  Is there a documented procedure for 
  doing this?
- Has he had training to pace cars in his rear view mirror?

I can't believe that they are taught to pace cars in the rear view 
mirror.  And I can't believe it is documented how to do this anywhere.

**Hammer on this point and make it clear that he is inventing his own 
procedures for pacing cars and not following any taught method.**
If he wasn't using the rear view mirror, how was he watching you in 
behind and driving, too?
Fight it.  You have almost nothing to lose.  Definitely do not be 
intimidated.  He may have a few half decent arguments and will 
probably even present a few less-than-accurate details.  Don't lose 
your cool, but don't be afraid to point out his inaccuracies even 
if your claims are a little exaggerated.  

George

---

From: [email-masked] (Jon N. Steiger)
Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 07:43:25 GMT

ATTGeorgeW ([email-masked]) wrote:
: Your speeding ticket sounds pretty bogus.  I would go to 

[...]

: George

    I agree.  Also, I don't think a cop can pace you while in front of
you.  (Not legal, won't hold up in court).  I heard that about 
CA anyway.. I'm not sure about other states.   (This is why you will often
times see people pulling out of line on the expressway, and following 
speeding police officers when they breeze by.  They can't do a thing about 
it.)

						-Jon-

+=========================================================================+
||Jon N. Steiger  -  DoD# 1038  -  USUA# A46209  -  KotWitDoDFAQ      _  ||
[email-masked]                                , _.o..__  / \ || 
||http://www.cs.fredonia.edu/~stei0302/                   +********=++-' ||
||-------------------------------------------------       ` o/           ||
||'91 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 / '91 Yamaha FZR600R                  Oo.   || 
||Current lust:  TEAM Inc. 1100R Mini-Max (FAR103 Rotax 277)       |     || 
+=========================================================================+