Subject: !Speed Limits Irrelevant!

From: [email-masked] (Cpt. Zoom)
Date: 15 May 1995 16:49:22 -0600

National Motorists Association
	6678 Pertzborn Road, Dane, Wisconsin 53529	608/849-6000

	For Immediate Release			Media Contact:

	June 1, 1995				James J. Baxter

						President

						608/849-6000

		Federal Study Finds Speed Limits Irrelevant

	Dane, WI -

		"The federal government spent over half a million dollars
	and five years on an exhaustive study of speed limits, and then
	buried it. The study was buried because it didn't come up with
	the answers that the Washington establishment wanted." James J.
	Baxter, President of the National Motorists Association, made
	that claim in a letter to members of Congress who are
	deliberating on repeal of the 55 mph National Maximum Speed
	Limit.

		Mr. Baxter claims that the study, the most comprehensive
	study done on speed limits in over 30 years, clearly proves that
	speed limits, as employed in the United States, have virtually no
	influence on driver behavior. "Raise the limit, lower the limit,
	or remove the signs altogether, and traffic speeds do not
	materially change. Furthermore, raising or lowering speed limits
	has no meaningful influence on traffic safety."

		The study, conducted under the supervision of the Federal
	Highway Administration, monitored and measured driver response to
	speed limit manipulations at 247 locations around the United
	States. Accident frequency was monitored at the same time.
	"These were not abstract computer simulations or esoteric 
	mathematical exercises; these were first-hand, on-the-ground,
	cause and effect comparisons."

		"We were not surprised by the finding that most speed limits
	are grossly underposted in relation to existing vehicle speeds
	and roadway design capabilities. Underposting by 10-15 mph is
	the rule rather than the exception," said the NMA's President.

		"This research effort was completed two years ago, submitted
	for rigorous peer review, and sent off to the Transportation
	Research Board to be forgotten and ignored. These were not the
	kinds of results that the safety establishment, insurance
	industry, or enforcement agencies wanted publicized. They fly in
	the face of 40 years of 'speed kills' propaganda and call serious
	question to traffic enforcement priorities. Millions of
	motorists, every year, suffer financial losses, totaling
	billions of dollars, as a result of unwarranted tickets and
	wasted time related to irrationally underposted speed limits.
	This study proves that point. Small wonder they tried to bury
	it."

				***END***

	The National Motorists Association (NMA) was established in 1982
	to represent the interests and rights of American motorists. It
	operates at the national level and through a system of state chapters.
	The NMA is solely supported through the contributions of individuals,
	families, and small businesses. For general information, call
	608/849-6000; for membership information, call 1-800-882-2785.

-- 
Lothar Dahlmeyer         			[email-masked]
Notorius Radium Astrology Obscuratory		http://info.aoc.nrao.edu/
My being paranoid doesn't prove they're not after me!

---

From: [email-masked] (Bob Benson)
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 18:01:35 GMT

>         June 1, 1995                            James J. Baxter

Has NMA succeeded in moving fast enough that they can get something on the
net 17 days before writing it?

Bob Benson
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (David W. Crawford)
Date: 21 May 1995 01:00:26 -0400

>>>>> On Tue, 16 May 1995 18:01:35 GMT, [email-masked] (Bob Benson) said:

 >> National Motorists Association 6678 Pertzborn Road, Dane, Wisconsin
 >> 53529 608/849-6000
 >> 
 >> 
 Bob>  Has NMA succeeded in moving fast enough that they can get something
 Bob> on the net 17 days before writing it?
 Bob> 
 Bob> Bob Benson [email-masked]

Yes.
Actually, their public campaign will be launched on June 1;
They have already assemble much of the related literature,
and have prepared some media materials, such as this press release.
-- 
David Crawford    [email-masked]