Subject: Re: cyclist hippies was Re: Driving Pet Peeves

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Bohler)
Date: 16 Jun 1995 09:51:11 -0500

In Article 45370 of rec.autos.driving, Indian Outlaw 
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> If you are caused to swerve into the path of an on-
>> coming car then you have already broken the law. 

>	That's why I'll stick the bike where the sun don't shine.
>Like I said, it takes nerve to ride on busy streets.  Whenever I see a 
>bike in a busy area, it's a recreational trip, not a commute to school or 
>work.  For recreation, stay in residential areas.

Sounds like you're living with your head where the sun don't
shine.  How do you know the purpose of everyones bicycle trips?
I don't question the purpose of your automobile trip.  If you saw 
me on my bicycle, how would you know if I am on my
way to work, to the store, or to the park?  What gives you the
authority to decide when and where people ride?

>> I think you need to get reaquainted 
>> with the vehicle laws in your area and learn your 
>> responsibilities as a motorist.  As a cyclist, I know mine.

>	The laws may aid cyclists, but they are a crock.  If I see one 
>ahead of me, I will slow down and nearly stop and then go around.  I have 

I disagree with you about the laws, but I appreciate your patience.

>Streets were intended for motor vehicles.  Cyclists should look at them 
>as priviledges.  Anyway, you're comparing apples to oranges.
>
>Later,
>BrenT Vaughan

Wrong.  Streets are intended for many types of vehicles, motorized
and non-motorized.  Cars, bikes, horse-and-buggys and pedestrians, to
name a few, are all entitled to use one road or another.  And each
user is priviledged to use the road.  Bicycles were here long before
cars and they'll be around long after cars are gone.  Next time you 
need to go from point A to point B use a bicycle and tell me if your
attitude changes.

I have enough to worry about on my bicycle without people in cars with
selfish attitudes who feel that they have to justify their aggressive
behavior with arguements like yours.

---

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Bohler)
Date: 20 Jun 1995 06:29:35 -0500

In my past life I used to get annoyed at any comment that was anti-
bicycling.  While some of the stuff in this news group still 
ticks me off, I am trying to listen to the opinions that don't come
from any of the bicycling newsgroups.  I think the mental picture
that I have of the typical rec.autos.driving reader may a little
off.  How do you picture the typical bicyclist?

I ask to be treated like a vehicle and thus I try to act
like a vehcicle.  Therefore, I do keep my place in line with other
cars at lights and stop signs, etc...  And while I used to get pissed 
when people said anything negative about bikes, I now agree
with you when I hear about bikes passing on the right.  I used
to pass on the right myself, quit and smiled when I saw others 
do it, and now get pissed when I see it because of the image it 
gives.  Plus its unsafe.  Ironically, today while waiting on my
bike to go straight through an intersection, a car in the right-
turn-only lane cut over in front of me, thus passing _me_ on
the right.  Motorists are not exempt from doing the same dumb
things that bikers do.

In many European cities cars and bikes co-exist and its no big deal.
In time it should happen here too.

mb