Subject: Re: cyclist hippies was Re: Driving Pet Peeves

From: [email-masked] (Michael L. Bohler)
Date: 16 Jun 1995 09:51:11 -0500

In Article 45370 of rec.autos.driving, Indian Outlaw 
<[email-masked]> wrote:
>> If you are caused to swerve into the path of an on-
>> coming car then you have already broken the law. 

>	That's why I'll stick the bike where the sun don't shine.
>Like I said, it takes nerve to ride on busy streets.  Whenever I see a 
>bike in a busy area, it's a recreational trip, not a commute to school or 
>work.  For recreation, stay in residential areas.

Sounds like you're living with your head where the sun don't
shine.  How do you know the purpose of everyones bicycle trips?
I don't question the purpose of your automobile trip.  If you saw 
me on my bicycle, how would you know if I am on my
way to work, to the store, or to the park?  What gives you the
authority to decide when and where people ride?

>> I think you need to get reaquainted 
>> with the vehicle laws in your area and learn your 
>> responsibilities as a motorist.  As a cyclist, I know mine.

>	The laws may aid cyclists, but they are a crock.  If I see one 
>ahead of me, I will slow down and nearly stop and then go around.  I have 

I disagree with you about the laws, but I appreciate your patience.

>Streets were intended for motor vehicles.  Cyclists should look at them 
>as priviledges.  Anyway, you're comparing apples to oranges.
>
>Later,
>BrenT Vaughan

Wrong.  Streets are intended for many types of vehicles, motorized
and non-motorized.  Cars, bikes, horse-and-buggys and pedestrians, to
name a few, are all entitled to use one road or another.  And each
user is priviledged to use the road.  Bicycles were here long before
cars and they'll be around long after cars are gone.  Next time you 
need to go from point A to point B use a bicycle and tell me if your
attitude changes.

I have enough to worry about on my bicycle without people in cars with
selfish attitudes who feel that they have to justify their aggressive
behavior with arguements like yours.

---

From: Indian Outlaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 15:55:09 -0500

> authority to decide when and where people ride?
	Well, spandex shorts don't look too professional to me.  Very 
clean expensive bikes also don't look like commuters(ie brand new yuppie 
mountian bikes)(I'm not being sarcastic no matter how bad I this comes off.)
I know some may change clothes before trekking from here to there.  Add 
in weekends too.  How many commutes to work on Saturday whereing spandex?
> need to go from point A to point B use a bicycle and tell me if your
	Never.  You're living in a fog of hysteria.  

> behavior with arguements like yours.

I'm not "agressive".  Take the time to see my other replies on this 
thread.  If you still think I'm sooo horrible then let me know.

Brent Vaughan

---

From: Indian Outlaw <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 15:55:09 -0500

Brent Vaughan