Subject: Food for driving, was becoming bicycles vs. Driving Pet Peeves

From: tony@sebastian (Antonio S. Esporma )
Date: 16 Jun 1995 23:12:27 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (RCMoeur) writes:

<cut>

>
>The name for the program is the "Safe Roads Movement". This is named after
>the "Good Roads Movement", of which the League was a significant proponent
>back in the early 1900s, along with early motoring organizations.
>
>Yes, there is a national effort underway - let's hope it is as effective
>as MADD and other groups.
>

Hummm!  I thought this was a driving group....

You know, to me, 'Good Roads Movement' is that early morning visit to 
the john when I have a long drive ahead.  It sure makes me a good, happy
person when I'm driving.

Of course, on long road trips, those that require overnights on hotels, 
I tend to eat Chinese food and avoid Pizza.  Wowiee, you don't wanna piss
me off on the road after a dinner of heavy Pizza and beer on some
ill-begotten pizza parlor on a long road trip.  No sireee!  

On the other hand, after a nice chinese dinner the night before.... :-)

Maybbe we ought to start a thread on this....

What kind of food makes you happy on long road trips?  Hey, Hey! please 
don't tell me Cheetos and Pepsi... You must be a maniac or a teenager.

tony

---

From: [email-masked] (RCMoeur)
Date: 17 Jun 1995 20:24:39 -0400

Hey, since I was quoted to start, I'll reply...

But first - TWO IMPORTANT NOTES:

1. This is being crossposted to rec.autos.driving AND rec.bicycles.soc.
The basic food groups can vary strangely among these two newsgroups.
PLEASE (after this posting, of course) redirect this thread into one or
the other newsgroup only. Otherwise, it could get reeeealy strange.  :)

2. The group I referred to was the "Safe Roads Movement". The "Good Roads
Movement" went out of business back in the 1920s, I believe.

Now, as for my faves?

In Truckasaurus Rex (88 Chevy 1/2 ton big enough to carry my bikes):
Pepsi - enough to float a frigate or two - on ice.
Pringle's chips. Uniformity is good.
Beef Jerky. An animal died to give you this food - honor its memory
by eating all you can.

On the Schwinn Cruiser:
Water. At least 2 bottles, maybe more when it gets warm*
(*warm = greater than 110)
Fig Newtons. Great, sweet, full of nrg, and good for the ol' plumbing.
Bananas. A fruit with a sense of humor. Dispose of peels properly-
on guardrail or delineator posts.   :)

As you can see - different conveyances, different chow.

Enjoy the road - we all use it!

* Richard C. Moeur        P.E.,  E.C.I.,  N7WTB,  whatever...
* Practicing Traffic Engineer (I'll get it right someday...)
* Phoenix, Arizona, USA
* "Hit it with the hammer, Big Ed! No, the hammer! That's a wrench,
* that long thingie's a hammer..." - Animaniacs, "Ups & Downs"
* The opinions expressed are not necessarily those of
* any organization to which I may be affiliated, grouped,
* or linked by incriminating evidence. Necessarily, that is.
:9

---

From: [email-masked] (RCMoeur)
Date: 17 Jun 1995 20:24:39 -0400

Now, as for my faves?

On the Schwinn Cruiser:

---

From: tony@sebastian (Antonio S. Esporma )
Date: 16 Jun 1995 23:12:27 GMT

<cut>

tony