Subject: Re: Speed limit repeal approved by Senate

From: [email-masked] (Michael Joseph Lorello)
Date: 21 Jun 1995 11:50:49 GMT

Steve Sheldon ([email-masked]) wrote:
: In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (John Carr) writes:

: >The Senate has approved repeal of the national 55/65 MPH speed limit
: >for cars only.  Trucks will still be limited by the current rules.

OHHHHHHHHHHHH  YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Why haven't they changed the signs yet!!!!

---

From: [email-masked] (Eric Barna)
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 16:10:49

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Michael Joseph Lorello) writes:
>From: [email-masked] (Michael Joseph Lorello)
>Subject: Re: Speed limit repeal approved by Senate
>Date: 21 Jun 1995 11:50:49 GMT

>Why haven't they changed the signs yet!!!!

I think it's up to the individual states to set the limits. I know in Texas, 
Gov. Bush is in favor of it and said the limits will be raised in the near 
future. Yipee!

Eric

---

From: [email-masked] (Josh White)
Date: 23 Jun 1995 13:03:21 -0700

: The Senate has approved repeal of the national 55/65 MPH speed limit
: for cars only.  Trucks will still be limited by the current rules.

Note that this still has to clear the House of Representatives & not get 
vetoed(?) before it is law.

Time to start writing your STATE governments, letting them know how you 
feel about speed limits & what ought to happen. I personally could use 
some help here in California, getting a message through to politicals...

-Josh
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Josh White, Vector Graphics: Custom 3D models for realtime 3D games & VR
Vector Graphics home page: http://www.crl.com/~vectorg

-={ 3D artist, game developer, motorhead, soccer. Turkiye seviyorum! }=-
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (Mueller, Phillip A)
Date: 25 Jun 1995 16:42:13 -0500

References: <[email-masked]>

In article <[email-masked]>,[email-masked] (Michael 
> Why haven't they changed the signs yet!!!!

Do they no longer teach civics?  The bill still has to pass the
House, and then the President has to sign it.  If he vetoes it,
it will (probably) go back to Congress, and will need a 2/3
vote in both houses to pass.  Even then, all the bill will do is
repeal Federal control of speed limits -- each state will then
have to pass new speed limits through its legislature.  (Currently
all states have a speed limit no higher than 65 MPH.)

(Still, I imagine states like Arizona, Nevada, et al will pass
higher limits very quickly.)

 --
Phil Mueller  [email-masked]  1989 BMW 325i

P.S.  I simplified the situation a bit, but this article is dry
enough already.

---

From: [email-masked] (Mark Bentley)
Date: 26 Jun 1995 02:22:58 GMT

Mueller, Phillip A ([email-masked]) wrote:
: (Still, I imagine states like Arizona, Nevada, et al will pass
: higher limits very quickly.)

As well they should.  I have no problems with 55 or even lower in 
congested areas, such as where I live (Washington DC suburbs).  In 
Nevada, where the roads are laser straight, visibility is measured in 
miles, and traffic is light, why not go for 85 or more?

-Bentley

---

From: [email-masked] (Scott Streeter)
Date: 25 Jun 1995 16:12:50 GMT

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Joseph Lorello <[email-masked]> writes:
In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (Michael Joseph Lorello) writes:

>The Senate has approved repeal of the national 55/65 MPH
> speed limit for cars only.  Trucks will still be limited
> by the current rules.

Michael> OHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Michael> Why haven't they changed the signs yet!!!!

Calm down.... This repeal of the federal speed limit simply means that
states now have control of speed limits in that state. If the state
you live in likes the 55 mph limit then you won't get a change. Hell
they could make the limit 50 or 45 now, and you wouldn't be about to
do shit about it.
-- 
     Scott Streeter      http://www.wpi.edu/~ss        [email-masked]

---

From: Kevin Atkinson <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 1995 17:25:42 -0400

> miles, and traffic is light, why not go for 85 or more?

I do, becuase no one goes on that lower speed.  It makes a law-abiding 
driver a hazard on the road.  I firmly belive that teh speed limit on 
almost all interstates should be at least 70mph becuase that is just over 
the average 85th percentile speed.  The only place the speed should be 
lower is at a VERY dangerous section of the road.  If they need to lower 
the speed limit on a section of the road do to danger  (like 5 
roads comming in to the freeway from both the left and the right) 
it should be made absoltly clear that there is a danger and the cops should 
be out there 24 houres to inforse the speed limit FOR THAT SECTION 
only.  This way americans will respect the speed limit more and when it 
is lowerd they will know their is a good reason for the lower limit.

* Kevin Atkinson, Clarknet I'net Serv., Maintainer of the Usenet Info Center *
*     Finger [email-masked] for more info on Usenet Info Center.         *
*    Or send mail to [email-masked]  with a subject line of HELP.        *
*  This is in its beginning stages and I could use any help I could get!     *

---

From: [email-masked] (James Baxter)
Date: 28 Jun 1995 18:15:22 GMT

States will not have to pass separate laws to adjust their speed limits 
if the NMSL is canned.  They will use existing guidelines.  

All state departments of transportation use what's called the "85th 
percentile" rule when setting speed limits in most cases.  This is done 
by observing traffic and finding out the speed at which 85% of them 
travel at and making it the limit.  Reason for this is the chances of 
being in an accident are lowest at that speed.  

Insurance companies are screaming about this because they'll lose the 
profits they've been getting over the past 21 years from speeding ticket 
surcharges.  If the purpose of insurance is to cover -unusual- risk, then 
the act of exceeding an arbitrarily set, unreasonably low limit (55) is 
pure profit since the act of exceeding it is hardly unusual.  Now they're 
saying they'll have to raise your rates in your state if it does decide 
to raise the limit.  This is purely designed to pad their pockets; as 
explained above, states will use the 85th percentile rule.  The ins. co's 
raise their rates and accident rates go down; they win (again).  But I 
can't understand why they're against this kind of safety.

Join the National Motorists Association and help put an end to the 
persecution of motorists in North America.  800-882-2785
-
  National Motorists Association [email-masked]