Subject: Re: Where did they learn to drive???

From: [email-masked] (Steph Greenberg)
Date: 22 Jun 1995 00:24:53 GMT

Chieh Lee ([email-masked]) wrote:

: One year ago, I started carrying a H&K MP5 Submachinegun in my Eclipse.  It's
: got a full 30 round magazine plus one round in the chamber.  Just last month,
: after an embrassing incident in the parking lot of my local supermarket, I
: installed a laser-sight.  I have the piece mounted (with velcro) on the 
: passenger side of the center console.  When I need it, all I have to do 
: is rip it off the velcro and flip the safety.  

HMMMM. A fully automatic Class 3 submachinegun should net you 10 years in 
federal prison (if it's a first offense). Though it appears it isn't 
concealed, it IS illegal in almost every state to drive with *any* loaded 
weapon in your car. 

: The parking-lot lady is dead.  The F-150 is now an f-1/5.  
: I'm still looking for the other two.

: Just kidding >;)  know what you mean.  Thanks for letting me blow off steam,
: too.

In Los Angeles, this sort of thing is all too real. I did have a pair of 
Estes rockets with a shift mount trigger (my Dad worked at Hughes 
Aircraft, and brought home a "defective" joy stick--two switches didn't 
work, but the fire trigger did). Scared the crap out of RVs on mountain 
roads, but I couldn't get an explosive payload that wasn't too heavy :(

The "launchers" were 20 1 1/2 diameter pipes mounted in the fog light 
bays of my Opel Ralleye. (Now *there's* an example of fine "German 
engineering"--replaced nearly every Bosch electrical part, and then bought 
another Opel--this time a GT.)

I DID have to put out a brush fire I accidentally started once. 

--
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steph Greenberg                       
[email-masked]           "Every Friday is a prelude to Monday." 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked] (David Glenn)
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 1995 18:16:09 GMT

[email-masked] (Rich Little - Theta Xi KO 177) wrote:

>Just thought I'd share my experiences from yesterday with everyone.  I was 
>traveling with my girlfriend along a road near her parents house.  We were 

You relate experiences I have nearly everyday on my 50+ mile commute.

We are, in the US at least, are extremely afraid to teach people to
drive (or to expect them to be at least competent to a reasonable
level). It's a shame, and IMHO, this is what stands in the way of
higher speed limits and other general driving rule common sense. We
have least common denominator'ed driving and I don't see it changing
anytime soon.