Subject: Re: Photo Radar dumped in Ontario

From: [email-masked] (Tom Foottit)
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 17:13:42 GMT

James Baxter ([email-masked]) wrote:
> As of today, the new Premier of Ontario (Mike Harris) dumped photo radar.

> According to our Ontario NMA coordinator, Ivor Nixon, the OPP will now 
> concentrate on unsafe driving acts such as tailgating, improper lane 
> changes, etc. Airplanes will monitor the high-traffic areas.  He also 
> noted that the Canadian Auto Ass'n supports speed limits set by the 85th 
> percentile rule and they urged authorities to recognize that motorists 
> have a right to know when to expect a citation.

> This is recent news.  At this time we don't know what's going to happen 
> to the existing photo radar vans.

I think the vans were leased by the Ontario Government.

All I know for sure is - they're gone!!! Yay!!!

Tom

_____________________________________________________________________
Tom Foottit                              Computer Systems Engineering
[email-masked]                Carleton University

---

From: [email-masked] (James Baxter)
Date: 17 Jul 1995 17:17:00 GMT

No one asks us to go speeding on a public highway.  But it's darn hard to 
explain to ourselves that traveling at an arbitrarily-imposed speed limit 
is safe and resonable when in fact we look out our windshield and see 
that there is -not- major carnage going to happen if we travel faster.  
Could it be that the LAW is wrong and not the drivers?  After all, if 
nearly everyone is traveling at (stateside) 70 mph it stands to reason 
that all of those people cannot possibly be acting irresponsibly on the 
same day on the same road.

-
Join the NMA! $29/yr.  800-882-2785
National Motorists Association   [email-masked]