Subject: right lane tailgaters

From: [email-masked] (Timothy J. Lee)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 17:32:18 GMT

Why do some drivers tailgate in the right lane (where slower traffic
is supposed to be) when there are lanes available to the left to pass?

This is quite annoying when one finds that a convoy of vehicles,
tailgating at one car length from each other in the right lane, is
acting like one very long vehicle and getting in the way of entering
or exiting the highway.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Timothy J. Lee                                        [email-masked]
No warranty of any kind is provided with this message.

---

From: [email-masked] (FolsomMan)
Date: 22 Jul 1995 02:18:54 -0400

From: [email-masked] (Timothy J. Lee)
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 17:32:18 GMT

>is supposed to be) when there are lanes available to the left to pass?

I think it's cause they're too dumb to breathe and change lanes at the
same time.

>acting like one very long vehicle and getting in the way of entering

Could be dangerous too.

---

From: [email-masked] (John Edward Miller)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 16:24:19 GMT

FolsomMan ([email-masked]) wrote:
: From: [email-masked] (Timothy J. Lee)
: Date: Thu, 20 Jul 1995 17:32:18 GMT
: <[email-masked]> wrote:

: >Why do some drivers tailgate in the right lane (where slower traffic
: >is supposed to be) when there are lanes available to the left to pass?

: I think it's cause they're too dumb to breathe and change lanes at the
: same time.

It is dangerous, as much as you can say any human endeavor with the safety
record of our highway system (which is, idiots notwithstanding, absurdly
good) is dangerous.

But people learn from their environment.  The freeway environment, since
1974, has been dominated by the 55mph speed limit and predatory enforcement
practices.  People have learned not to show themselves in the left-hand
lanes.  So they'll maneuver through traffic on the right so as not to be so
visible.

John.

---

From: [email-masked] (John Edward Miller)
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 16:24:19 GMT

John.