Subject: Re: HELP: Need Info on Speeding Tix, Caught by Vascar

From: tony@sebastian (Antonio S. Esporma )
Date: 26 Jul 1995 22:28:44 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>To all readers:
>
>I got a speeding ticket and need information on the device called Vascar.
>Please send all info to <[email-masked]> or just post to the bulletin board.
>

VASCAR is used in California by the CHP to calculate your speed since use
of radar is illegal on limited access roads (Hip, Hip Hooray for our State!).

Anyway, VASCAR is a time/distance computer hooked up to the cop car's 
speedometer/odometer.  The officer watches the road, and when the target
car crosses a geographical entity, like an on-ramp, the officer starts the
clock.   

He then waits for the car to go on some more, and then starts behind it.
When he crosses that geographical feature, he starts the odometer on the
VASCAR unit.  Then he drives behind you to catch up.  

He'll give you a mile or so to allow for the error of the 'geographical
feature' since in the Golden State freeways can not be marked for speed
enforcement unless otherwise, _clearly_ posted.

As soon as the offices catches up, he stops the VASCAR unit, which then
displays your average speed based upon the time that it took your car to
travel that distance.

Thinks to watch out for:

(1) Did the officer go above the calibrated range of the patrol car to
    catch up with you?

(2) Did the officer maintain visual contact with you?  You could claim
    that it was that other _lime_ _green_ 2002tii that just went by.. :-)

(3) If not, were there other on-off ramps that you both travelled before
    he cought up with you.

The above points may help you lower the fine if the VASCAR evidence is
thrown out.  Of course, if he also paced you (1/16 mile) then he can
stick you that way.

Naturally, you slowed down to 55 when you saw the cop approaching from 
behind, didn't you?  If not, tough shit and learn.

Next time, watch those on ramps.  The cop has to see you, which means that
you ought to be able to see him too!

tony

---

From: tony@sebastian (Antonio S. Esporma )
Date: 2 Aug 1995 17:15:04 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> Jud Main <[email-masked]> writes:
>VASCAR isn't a device...
>
>Two usually white lines, fairly thick, are painted on the road a set 
>distance apart.
>
>A plane, that's right, a plane overhead uses a stopwatch to time your car 
>from one white mark to the next.  They figure your speed from that.
>
>Occasionally, there'll be a situation where a police car on the ground will 
>have adequate line of sight to time you through those marks on the road 
>or some other visual reference, and judge your speed that way.
>

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzttttt

Sorry! you're wrong.  VASCAR is a device that allows average speed measurements
based on distance and time.  Note that in California, road marks as you
suggest are illegal unless clearly noted.  VASCAR, meanwhile is legal 
thoughout the state since it uses no road markings of anykind, instead it
relies upon the officer visual clues.

Please refer to previous posts on this subject.

tony