Subject: Observed interstate travel is slower at night

From: [email-masked] (Paul Stuart)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 08:46:31 -0400

Driving from my hometown in New Jersey down Interstate 95 to Washington,
D.C. every two weeks, I often observe that drivers tend to drive more 
slowly from dusk to later hours.  When daylight is still apparent, and
before drivers turn their headlights on, interstate travel is usually
rapid in speed.  As twilight occurs, there is a noticeable change in
the speed of many drivers, where dusk seems to have a soothing and
relaxing effect upon the people that use the interstate.

Have any commuters noticed this?  Is this a logical explanation
for the slower nature of traffic during dusk?  Commentary and
discussion appreciated!

Paul
  
-- 
"Now with the wisdom of years, I try to reason things out.  And the only people
 I fear are those who never have doubts.  Save us all from arrogant men, and
 all the causes they're for."  --  Billy Joel, Shades of Grey (1993)

---

From: "Nathan J. Nagel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 10:06:20 -0400

Excerpts from netnews.rec.autos.driving: 31-Jul-95 Observed interstate
travel .. by Paul [email-masked]. 
> for the slower nature of traffic during dusk?  Commentary and

    I've noticed the same thing, especially on newly-65MPH stretches of
road.  Last night I was driving down I-79 at about 65 (actually maybe a
little under) and passing people left and right (OK, figure of speech. 
I tried to pass on the left whenever possible.)  A cop's dream!

(See?  People really CAN drive on a road with a 65 MPH speed limit and
not do 90.)

    But anyway, you're right.  People do seem to drive slower at night,
which I find confusing because I fint it easier to spot the other cars
on the road (and traffic is lighter, too.)  Hmmmm.....

later,

Nate

---

From: [email-masked] (Kevin Anthony Scaldeferri)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 11:11:50 -0400

In article <[email-masked]>,
>on the road (and traffic is lighter, too.)  Hmmmm.....

Please tell me at least one of these is a troll.

People drive slower at night because you can't see as well at night,
therefore it's not safe to drive daytime speeds.

Remember, you may see other cars well (assuming their lights are working
properly) but you can't see the _road_ anything above the interstate
speed limit risks overrunning your headlights.

Personally, I probably average 15-20 mph slower at night (granted I'm
a bit of a speed demon during the day).  why?  Because I realize
it's not safe, and for all you speed demons out there, how far ahead
of you can you spot a cop on the shoulder during the night.  I'm not
willing to bet that I can beat the radar gun's range at night, something
I can do during the day.

Kevin

---

From: [email-masked] (Steve Sheldon)
Date: 31 Jul 95 17:49:44 GMT

>Please tell me at least one of these is a troll.

 I think it must be.  I mean a lot of serious accidents involving cars and
immobile objects occur at night.

>therefore it's not safe to drive daytime speeds.

 Definately.

>speed limit risks overrunning your headlights.

 Those trees hurt when you run into them.

 Also, these people obviously have never driven in the midwest where at
night you have to worry about animals such as Deer(or worse Moose) coming
out on the road.

>willing to bet that I can beat the radar gun's range at night, something

 I generally do 65 mph at night.  I may do 70-75 during the day.  Depending
on the traffic.  If it's booking at 80, well when in Rome, do as the Romans.
-- 
Steve Sheldon           [These are my own opinions]    '95 Dodge Neon
Iowa State University   ICSS Resource Facility by day  '85 Honda Spree
[email-masked]     ProMap by night                '91 Bridgestone MB5
   BEEF! -- Cause the west wasn't won on salad.

---

From: [email-masked] (Paul Stuart)
Date: 31 Jul 1995 11:38:22 -0400

Nate, not only do drivers tend to drive a bit more slowly from dusk
onward, everyone also seems to be more considerate in slowing down
when it's raining.  I'm sure that most drivers realize that traction
in wet weather is usually limited, thereby persuading them to drive
at a reasonable speed.

Please refrain from calling police officers, "cops."  I respect law
enforcement personnel and this is a word that seems to connote
a negative stereotype for them.  In effect, all police officers
are trying to do on the interstate system is get all drivers to
their destination safely.  

Paul