Subject: help needed on speeding ticket

From: [email-masked] (Xiaobiao Bill Zeng)
Date: 2 Aug 1995 04:58:28 GMT

Finally I got my first speeding ticket when I was about to renew my
drivers license....The PA cop said I was at 70 mph in a posted 45 mph
construction zone, passing two 45 mph signs and him (regular speed
limit is 65 mph).  I believe I only passed one 45 mph sign at 60-65 mph
and slowed down to 45-50 mph when I was about to pass him.
The ticket is $115.50, with fine 50, e.m.s. 10, cat 30, costs 24, etc.
I don't know how he came up with these numbers.  The PA town is about
70 min driving from here.  Should I plead not guilty (at least try to
reduce the fine)? -- will I get points if plead guilty?  Is it worth
making the effort to appeal in the court? .... I'd like to hear any
comments/suggestions!                   Bill

---

From: "Boman B. Irani" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Aug 1995 22:36:02 GMT

[email-masked] (Michael Cornell) wrote:

> We're not broke, but since the speed limit went up to 65, it's getting harder 
> to suck in that cash.  Better to suck it from you out-of-state drivers than us 
> residents, though.  :)
> 

That's right! The officer mentioned that to me: "The limit used
to be 55 and now it's 65 and still you were going fast!"

How should I have ever been expected to know what the previous
limit was! :-)

	Cheers,

	--Boman.

---

From: [email-masked] (Bill D)
Date: 9 Aug 1995 03:46:43 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, Bob Morrow
([email-masked]) wrote: 

> Always fight speeding tickets.  

> One thing's for sure-if you fight and lose, they won't tack on more points
> or fine you more than if you just paid and went.

Not true.  Here in Delaware, the cop writes two speeds on the ticket... 
e.g. if you are nailed ifor 72mph in a 55mph zone, the cop will write 
"64/72" on the ticket... the 64 is the speed you're found guilty of if 
you plead guilty, so the ticket has a built in plea bargain to get you to 
plead guilty.

This has always struck me as vaguely illegal.... isn't the cop falsifying 
his testimony in an effort to get you to plead guilty?

--
[email-masked]
'71 MGB (daily driver)