Subject: Lights On for Safety?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 1995 07:52:17 GMT

Seems more folks here in the Bay Area are driving with headlights
on during the daytime, for greater visibility.  Numerous Studies
(anyone have specifics?) show that this nontrivially reduces accidents
especially on undivided highways, and in some countries such as Sweden
the headlights are wired to the ignition.

I'm all for this and do it myself on Hwy. 1, f'rinstance, but was
wondering whether it makes you stand out as a candidate for a traffic
ticket.  The stealth factor on my dark green car goes way down, but
I'd think most officers would in fact see it as a gesture of good
faith, responsibility, and alertness.

Or, would there be a factor of overweening Volvoesque
passive-agressive righteousness?  Especially in a non-cop car like my
Acura Integra with the hey-lookit bullet headlights?  And  have there
been any studies on driving with running lights only, which most
people think of as that satisfying click between no lights and
headlights?

And how 'bout putting a strobe lightbar on the roof for that extra
margin of safety?

--djm

---

From: [email-masked] (Ludis Langens)
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 1995 09:27:45 GMT

In article <[email-masked]> [email-masked] writes:
>And  have there

I'm quite sure that driving with just the running lights on is illegal
in California - even during the day.  So either turn your headlights
on, or leave everything off.

Ludis Langens
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (KENNY MORSE)
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 1995 07:36:40

>on, or leave everything off.

Ludis.......

In California, driving with your PARKING LIGHTS on is ILLEGAL
day OR night!!!

BUT.....driving with your HEADLIGHTS on is not only legal, but
smart.  This is one of the last countries in the world where the
cars manufactured do not come with DRL's..."Daytime Running
Lights" which are HEADLIGHTS that come on and stay on when
you turn on the ignition.  Some 1995/6 Chevvys already come with
DRL's.  More will in the 96/7 model year, until it becomes law in
98 I think!?! I need to double check that date.

Kenny Morse
"Mr. Traffic"
http://www.usbusiness.com/mr_traffic.html