Subject: Re: Help Needed To Fight Ticket in Georgia!

From: [email-masked] (Bob Morrow)
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 95 21:01:06 GMT

Laser is by no means 100% accurate.  Since the beam is invisible, how does the officer know he got
-you- and not the person 3 feet away from you?  At distances of less than 1,000 feet, that is very
possible.  Just  because his crosshairs were on your car do not in any way mean that your vehicle was
actually the one reflecting the laser light.

They say laser is infallible, partly to justify the expense ($4,000 each) and partly because few have bothered
to challenge it.  Also, laser is not on judicial notice in many areas around the country.  This means
that the theory of operation is not proven and will not stand up in court without expert testimony from
a non-biased person, such as an engineer.  They'll have to haul in that person at their expense.  All this
for a $75 ticket?  It happens, but not often.  FIght the ticket!  (join the NMA too!)

Bob Morrow                                                                Join the NMA!  $29/year
National Motorists Association                                   800-882-2785
reply to:  [email-masked]

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: 7 Aug 1995 20:07:57 GMT

I just got a ticket in the Atlanta area (specifically, on GA 400 southbound),
and I was hoping someone might have some suggestions on how to fight it.

Details:  Traffic was very heavy; motorcycle cop pulled over on right
side of road with laser pointed right at me.  He radios to a patrol car
about 50 yards further down the road, who pulls behind me and turns
on his lights.  I pull over immediately.  79 in a 55 zone.

I asked the officer to see the laser gun reading and he tells me that
I can't, because it is in the hands of the motorcycle cop about 150 yards
back.  Is this enough grounds to have the ticket dropped?  I also
asked him the accuracy of his laser gun and he told me that it is 100%
accurate (no error) which seems wrong to me.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance.  Please feel free to respond to the
article in rec.autos.driving, but I'd appreciate a copy forwarded to
[email-masked] (the account I'm posting this from is a joint
account).  Thanks!

-Dave