Subject: Re: higher insurance for speeding?

From: [email-masked] (Scott Bramhall)
Date: 22 Aug 1995 20:15:56 GMT

In article 809111266@access5, [email-masked] (Dr. Dick Dickson) writes:
> [email-masked] (Joseph E. Huesmann) writes:
> 
> >If I'm not mistaken, on the autobahn in Germany, passing is not allowed 
> >on the right, and if a cop has to slow down or pass you on the right 
> >you're going to get a ticket.
> 
> So what?  That's just one more reason that Germany is not a country whose 
> social and cultural patterns are worth emulating.
> 
> Dr. Dick
> 

Until about the last 10 years or so, most states had similar laws.  Passing
on the right was illegal, as was sitting in the left lane when you weren't
passing someone.  These laws were phased out when more people started being
inconsiderate jerks and camping in the left lane.  If you are in a left lane
NOT passing anyone, and someone comes up behind you, they are not asking you
to go faster; they are asking you to be courteous and move over so they can
continue.  It is not the job of John Q. Motorist to police the highways and
enforce the speed limit.  If it irks you that much that people feel safe
driving faster than you are, get their license plate and report them to the
police.  See how seriously they take you.  

I did not intend on this post taking on an adversarial tone, but it really
frosts me when drivers can't take the time or effort to be courteous, but
rather try to force their driving habits on others.  

And why bash Germany?  What have they done to you lately?

Scott B.