Subject: Truck Drivers = Good Drivers? (Was Re: Need Help Bad speeding ticket)

From: [email-masked] (Matt Boothe)
Date: 1 Nov 1995 20:26:25 GMT

>As a fellow VT student, I also have to take I-81. I've never been blocked 
>off by a truck when there are three lanes.

All I can say is that you've had better luck than I have.

>>And one final point, almost every traffic jam I have been in on I-81 has 
>>been the result of an overturned truck (excepting construction).

>Really? How often has this occurred? The only traffic I have been in on I-81 
>is due to construction or half the university leaving at once. I think 
>truckers *are* better drivers.

I'd say I see it at least two or three times a year.  Notice that I excepted 
construction.  I suppose I should also except any major holiday since as you 
point out, the result is gridlock.

Trust me, I do alot of I-81 travel between Roanoke and Christiansburg, if you 
haven't seen some outrageous truck driving, you have been very lucky.  Here 
is something to think about.  The signs used to say "Trucks keep right" or 
something like that.  Now they say "Trucks right two lanes only."  Why do you 
suppose VDOT went to all the trouble to strengthen the wording on those 
signs?

Matt