Subject: Re: What do I do with my Radar Detector while in Virginia?

From: "NMA [Bob M]" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Nov 1995 22:26:08 GMT

Erik Velapoldi <[email-masked]> wrote:

>On a more serious note:  do you ever wonder if companies that manufature
>radar detectors support low speed limits?  I mean, if lawmakers
>actually gained some sense and set speed limits more sensibly (i.e.higher), 
>more people would drive at the limit and wouldn't get tickets.  Those companies
>would be out of busines.
>
>erik
>[email-masked]
>

The small-town speed trap will still be in fashion since lawmakers are 
not likely to believe that higher limits do not compromise safety (as 
true as it is.)  

We have somewhat regular contact with the people at RADAR, and haven't 
seen anything suggesting that they support low limits.  Understandable 
that they might, but I've never seen any evidence of that.

-- 
National Motorists Association      	Join the NMA!
[email-masked]                  	$29 a year.
http://www.msn.fullfeed.com/nma/    	Sign up online.

---

From: "Antonio S. Esporma" <tony>
Date: 8 Nov 1995 22:45:35 GMT

[email-masked] (Todd A. Scalzott) wrote:
>
>In article <[email-masked]> "Antonio S. Esporma" <tony>
>writes:
>
<snip>

>> So what?  Are you telling me that because some scumbag politicians
>> decide to trample on you civil rights and pass some bogus laws, you
>> obey them blindly?  Look, in the Evil Empire (aka the USSR)
>> typewriters were illegal and controlled, perhaps you should turn
>> yourself into the extant Soviet authorities because you use a word
>> processor.
>
>Yup, I sure do.  If you don't like the law, legally petition to have
>it changed.  Don't break it while it still stands.  This should apply
>to all laws, not just ones that you deem a nuisance or too trivial to
>have an impact on others.  
>
>> Perhaps if the polity would pass logical and just laws in all areas of 
>> jurisprudence we wouldn't need radar detectors at all?
>> 
>
>See the above. :)
>
>
Todd:

As a matter of fact I have sent letters and e-mail to our 'elected'
politicians but it seems to get nowhere.  At least I feel better.

On one occasion, I entered a plea of not guilty to a speeding ticket
which was written against the maximum speed law article of the California
Vehicle Code, not the safe speed law.  

I entered a plea of not guilty on the grounds that this law was
unconstitutional as it could not dictate speed limits on state roads.
(I was pulled over in a State Freeway, not an Interstate).  I further 
stated that this law was an abomination foisted upon our vehicle code
by the federal government.

The judge responded that if I felt so annoyed by this law, I should contact
my state and federal representatives.  I just responded that I had indeed
done so, but that nothing but silence from the democratic body and just a few
letters back from the republicans was all that I got back.  I also rattled the
then current representatives and senators, as well as my local California
Assemblywoman.

The judge then found me guilty (the max law is really shitty!) but lowered
my fine from $185 to $25 plus court costs.  BTW, I was written up at 70mph.

tony
PS: I hope you all responded to the NMA request and e-mail those morons
    in the US Congress:

------------------------------------------
----Text of a letter to the Senator from Nevada against the 55 mph ------
<I have included this from my mailtool>

Dear Senator from Nevada:

You are against repealling the 55 mph mandate???  Just what the you-know-
what gives?  Have you ever driven the I-15 from Las Vegas to anywhere in
the world?  55?  You must be kidding!  

I can almost understand those kneejerk liberals from the gridlocked North
East support their law-and-order ticket-writing-true-constituencies, but
some one from the State of Nevada, home of more miles of freeways than
all the residents and tourists combined?????

Yeow!  Senator!!! What's the agenda here?  Are you trying to get some 
pork barrel (in itself a bonafide goal -I wish our ineffective California
Senators would just once in a blue moon understand) or are you _really_
against the 55 or just against speed limits all together (wishful thinking).

Come on sir, I'm sure you're a reasonable individual from a state with a 
horizon that takes three hours to reach even at well above 55 mph.
Heck, the Auto Club Trip Tik pages on Nevada take hours to get through...

Please don't hold this bill up because of other agendas.  Couldn't you just
hold up Medicare or something like that -heck I'm just 36 years old so
I can wait some years on Medicare ;-)

Thank you for the soapbox

Antonio S. Esporma
----------------------------------------------