Subject: Re: Why do YOU drive in the passing (left) lane all the time?

From: [email-masked] (Ram Rajadhyaksha)
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 10:31:23 -0500

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] wrote:

> (Do drivers in the UK have trouble with people sticking in the RIGHT
lane all the
> time?)

I think it's because they are afraid to deal with merging traffic from the
entrance ramps. They just want to hide in the inside of traffic so they
don't have to "think" about driving. In Ohio, the cow state, it's really,
really bad. Plus the cops are really obnoxious too.

-Ram

---

From: [email-masked] (michael w. geitner)
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 20:21:44 GMT

[email-masked] (Steve Sheldon) wrote:

> Check out Interstate 94 some time. (I think it is 94?)  It has signs saying
>"Trucks stay left next 100 miles" or some such.

I've seen that on I-94 .

> Slower traffic keep right mainly only applies in mountainous regions.
>
I-94 from roughly 116th st. in Wauwatosa to Moorland Ave. (big hill)

> Traffic staying right is really only a problem on the rural interstates.

I agree
>
> Once you get into the urban areas, the rules change.  Cars have to fill all
>lanes, otherwise traffic will not move at optimum speeds.

Absolutely.  So, in Wisconsin we have areas that require you to stay
left and areas that require you to stay right.  As much as I'd like
the left lane to myself and others who like to speed, I can't demand
the right to it.   So when I'm in the left lane and some pokey is in
front of me, I have to just relax and wait.

Mike

DLFA - here to help
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Miles Parker Mac Consulting/4D Developme)
Date: 13 Nov 1995 22:25:55 GMT

I don't know about state with laws requiring slower traffic to stay out of
the left lane, but Utah law requires that traffic in the left lane move right
when traffic approaches from behind, which should have the same effect. This
applies _even_ if the approaching traffic is exceeding the speed limit! Of
course, enforcement is another issue.

-Miles

---

From: [email-masked] (WARNING--Contents Protected With Permanent Marking )
Date: 14 Nov 1995 12:46:04 GMT

In <[email-masked]> [email-masked] (michael w.
geitner) writes: 
>
>[email-masked] (Lloyd R. Parker) wrote:
>>
>>Not when the law is "slower traffic keep right."  It does NOT say
"slow 
>>traffic..." but "slower..."  And if traffic is passing you, YOU are 
>>slower traffic.
>>
>But in Wisconsin, the law does'nt state "slower traffic keep right"
>(except where posted).
>And even if it did, if the speed limit is posted 55mph then you can go
>that fast and all other traffic going slower is to stay right.  That
>can't mean those that are breaking the law are allowed by law to be
>afforded free and unhindered passage in the left lane.

No, those who wish to go faster should have have free and unhindered
passage in the left lane, and that includes those who speed (except
during rush hour, when everyone is going nowhere).
>
>My point is only that "slower" means slower than the speed limit, not
>slower than the guy in the Viper doing 80.  

You're wrong.  "Slower traffic keep right," means just that.  If
someone is going faster than you you are slower traffic, no matter what
speed either of you are traveling. 
>
>But I'm not a legal scholar.
>
>Mike

Eric
"I'm not speeding, I'm practicing civil disobedience."

---

From: [email-masked] (Lloyd R. Parker)
Date: 14 Nov 1995 11:21:21 -0500

michael w. geitner ([email-masked]) wrote:
: [email-masked] (Lloyd R. Parker) wrote:
: >
: >Not when the law is "slower traffic keep right."  It does NOT say "slow 
: >traffic..." but "slower..."  And if traffic is passing you, YOU are 
: >slower traffic.
: >
: But in Wisconsin, the law does'nt state "slower traffic keep right"
: (except where posted).
: And even if it did, if the speed limit is posted 55mph then you can go
: that fast and all other traffic going slower is to stay right.  That
: can't mean those that are breaking the law are allowed by law to be
: afforded free and unhindered passage in the left lane.

But it's up to the police to enforce the speed limit, not some geezer 
tooling down the road at 55.

: My point is only that "slower" means slower than the speed limit, not
: slower than the guy in the Viper doing 80.  

No.  If the law meant that, it would say so.  Since the law assumes 
everybody is going slower than the speed limit, what's the point of 
requiring everybody to keep right then?

If I say, "bigger refrigerators," do you interpret that to mean bigger
than some standard, or bigger than other refrigerators?  If I say, "cars
with better fuel mileage," do you interpret that to be better than some
standard or better than other cars? 

: But I'm not a legal scholar.

: Mike

: DLFA - here to help
: [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] ( George Jefferson )
Date: 14 Nov 1995 21:43:00 GMT

:I think it's because they are afraid to deal with merging traffic from the
:entrance ramps. They just want to hide in the inside of traffic so they
:don't have to "think" about driving.

I had a passenger one time, 70yr old that I didn't really know.
He complained continually about me driving in the far right lane.
He was scared to death we were going to accidentally go off an exit..

-- 
george 	
[email-masked]