Subject: Re: Cop Car Top Speed?

From: [email-masked] (Gumby)
Date: 16 Nov 1995 02:59 CST

rthomson <[email-masked]> writes...
>Nothing outruns a Motorola.

But a left turn can sure confuse it :-)

Marc

---

From: [email-masked] ( George Jefferson )
Date: 16 Nov 1995 16:16:58 GMT

:
:My parents own a '93 Caprice.  I would GUESS (and that's all this is, a
:guess) that it would do 125-135 flat out.  (It has the LT-1 5.7L V8 and
:the stock suspension.)  I would assume that the police are using LT-1s in
:their Caprices as well

your caprice undoubtedly has a speed limiter...I assume the police
model does not (?)

-- 
george 	
[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Andrew Krenz)
Date: 17 Nov 1995 01:26:41 GMT

>:the stock suspension.)  I would assume that the police are using LT-1s in

A Police Package Caprice is, for all intents and purposes, an Impala SS
without the aluminum rims and all the other luxury features.  A few other
heavy duty things aside like silicone radiator hoses, etc, it is the
same car.  Car and Driver clocked an Impala SS 0-60 in 6.5 seconds and a top
speed of about 142 MPH.  Throw a light bar on top and its top speed might
be in the low to mid 130's. 

A Ford Crown Vic Police Package has a dual exhaust, 4.6L SOHC V8 with
210 HP (50 less HP than a LT1 Caprice/Impala).  0-60 on these cars
is closer to 9 seconds, and top speed is probably about 130, without
a light bar.

Civilian versions of both of these boats have speed governors on them.

A Camaro or Mustang is much faster than either of these beasts, though,
and a lot harder to spot from a distance.

Andy

--
Andrew Krenz  KE6BIP
[email-masked]