Subject: Re: Safety Weenies (WAS: Re: New Speed Limits after Repeal)

From: [email-masked] (Matthew S Greenlaw)
Date: 16 Nov 95 01:36:35 GMT

[email-masked] (John P. Curcio) writes:
>Thank you for this URL!!!  I was literally rolling on the floor
>laughing while reading some of the crap at their site.  Most laughable
>was the fact that they point to the 65mph exception to the NMSL act
>passed in 1987 to cause hundreds of deaths more per year, then to say
>that in 1992 and 1993 highway fatalities hit an all-time low of 1.8
>per 100 million vehice miles.  Seems like somebody is lying with
>statistics!!!

   One thing these people forget to figure in is that there actually  may 
be MORE people on the road. Now, I don't know all the figures on death 
statistics or stuff like that, but just because there were more deaths, 
does not neccesarily mean it was because of the increase in speed. 
   When I travel, I usually take the road that offers the highest speed.  
When the speed limits were raised to 65, I am sure that people flocked to 
the interstates to drive 70 so that they could get places faster. So, 
even if there were more deaths, the percentage might actually be much 
lower. I would be willing to bet if they looked at the 55 mile per hour 
rural roads at the same time, they would see the death rate go 
down--those people are now being killed on the 65 mph highways.
    I am all for the increase.  I know one thing though, I am going to 
have to get a new vehicle--now I will be able to keep up with that traffic!

PS By the way, does anyone know when this bill is up to vote? Is it 
supposed to pass? (E-mail please) Thanks!

-- 
Matthew Greenlaw           |  Is 40:31 - "They shall mount up with wings
[email-masked] |              as eagles..."       
[email-masked]    |---------------------------------------------
Mechanical Engineering     |  http://Hubcap.Clemson.Edu/~mgreenl