You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00058 Jun 2007

Jun 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

On 6/10/07, damodaran nair <dnairsreenivas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Very much is narrative and conspicuous. No doubts
> leaves.  But we often listen a cinema song "PANCHAGNI
> MADHYE THAPASSU CHEYTHEEDUKILUM" means even if one
> does penance in the middle of Panchngni.  here agni
> word is meant for Fire - in the flame of Panchagni.
> Is there any definition of Panchngni to support the
> concept of Five Fire?  If so, what are they?

Sri Sadagopan swamy has written about the 5 holy fires, you have
mentioned,  in part -4 of the series.

The fires are described variedly in different contexts.
The first 3 holy fires tended in the daily sacrificial fire are said
to have imparted teachings to Upakosala, the disciple of Satya kama
Jabali. This is  described in Chandogya upanishad.

The 3 of the 5 fires are said to be continuously ignited in our
shareeram, which got that name due to the 3 agni namely Gyaanaagni,
dharshanaagni and kOshataagni. This  is described in GarbOpanishad.

I request the elders in our groups to throw more light on this.

But what I have quoted in my mail is Panchangni vidya, the knowledge
of 5 fires through which the soul is born. The quoted information is
as it is from the translated version.
In this, the ether, rain, earth, man and woman are said to be agni
through which the soul travels to be born. The description is
available in sri bhashya.

If what I have heard is correct, those who sit for Braahmanaartham
during a ceremony are supposed to know this vidya.  I request the
knowledgeable persons to throw more light on this.

With regards,
jayasree saranathan

On 6/10/07, damodaran nair <dnairsreenivas@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> OM NAMO NARAYANAYA:
>
> Dear Sister,
>
> You have defined about PANCHANGNI.  That is read:
>
>  "the 5 fires (i.e., objects imagined to be fires
>  for the sake of upasana) are
>  (1)    the heavens
>  (2)    parjanya (rain)
>  (3)    earth
>  (4)    man
>  (5)    woman
>  (The description of this can be found in Brahma
>  sutra bhashya 3-1-1)
>
>  By this it is meant that the soul upon re-entry to
>  be born in this
>  world descends through
>  (1)    ether
>  (2)    then through rains
>  (3)    then enters earth and gets fixed in egetables /
>  seeds / friuits
>  (4)    then enters man through his food
>  (5)    the enters the womb of woman.
>  These 5 are meant as pancha agni.
>
> Very much is narrative and conspicuous. No doubts
> leaves.  But we often listen a cinema song "PANCHAGNI
> MADHYE THAPASSU CHEYTHEEDUKILUM" means even if one
> does penance in the middle of Panchngni.  here agni
> word is meant for Fire - in the flame of Panchagni.
> Is there any definition of Panchngni to support the
> concept of Five Fire?  If so, what are they?
>
> ON MAMO NARAYANAYA:
>
> K. DAMODARAN NAIR

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional