You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00082 Jun 2007

Jun 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy azhwAr?s verses in the fourth
ten on ThiruvEnkatam. A brilliant set of verses? This
fourth ten contains a brilliant eulogy to Lord
Srinivasa. The fifth verse today

Today?s verse is the fifth one.

kampamatha yaanai kazhuththakaththin mElirunthu
inpamarum selvamu mivvarasum yaanvENdEn
emperumaa Nneesa NnezhilvENG katamalaimEl
thampagamaay niRkum thavamudaiyE NnaavEnE

Sitting on the neck of the royal elephant and rule the
kingdom- I do not want that birth of being a king. I
do not want that material wealth. Instead, I would
like to be blessed being a thorn plant in the mountain
of ThiruvEnkatam- the hill of my Lord [emperumAn];
SavEshwaran [eesan]. I do not seek to rule over the
kingdom, the joys of riding elephants.

The champaka tree may give flowers and provide
[seNpagam] chmpaka flowers [for offering to the Lord]
to devotees and also shadow to Bhagawaathas to take
rest. But Bhaagawathas may take the flowers and place
them on their heads and go down the hill. Hence AzhwAr
does not want himself to be a waste. So, he wants in
this verse for being born a tree of thorns so that
none makes use of the same and he can just be in The
Mountain and be blessed to reside in divya Desam For
ever.

AzhwAr thus moves from one object or being to
anotherwith the Bhagawath Bhakti and kaimkarya ruchi
like the leaf that is moved by the wind.

Here one should reflect on Emperumaan- My lord and
EEsan, SarvEshwaran, being used by AzhwAr in the
verse. He is asmath swami; my swami; not just that
akhila jagath swaamin. [As also uttered by Sri
ramanuja in Saranagthi Gadya...] Sri Ranganaatha! Mama
naathA! In Sriranga Gadya. Thirumangai AzhwAr says:
Argali- ennALi?

Is Sriman Narayana Eesan? Yes? Sriman Narayana is the
Supreme Lord. Undoubtedly and unambiguously. Any one
who believes in Vedas would agree with this- says
Alavandhar.

Sri Muralidhar adds: In the commentary on the Brahma
Soothraas Shankaracharya defines Ishwara as "Ishasya
Shira: Narayana:" Significantly all Sanyasis sign off
with Narayana Smruthi and all Veda Parayanam ends with
the salutation "hari: Om", while AchamanIyam in
Sandyavandanam is performed uttering the names of Lord
Narayana. These facts are sufficient to establish that
Lord Narayana is the Supreme Being-without an equal or
a superior.

We can also quote from the Mantrarajapada Stotram
appearing in the Ahirbudhnya Samhita of the
Pancharatra Agama attesting to the supremacy of Lord
Narayana. Ahirbudhnya, an Amsham of Shiva was the
greatest Bhakta of Lord JwAla Narasimha and performed
SharaNagati (unconditional total surrender) to the
Lotus feet of Bhagavan Narasimha through the
salutation

"namaskArAthmakam yasmaI viDhAya Athma
nivEdhanam thyaktha dhuKhOKhilAn kAmAn ashNu thE tham
NamAmyaham"

Meaning: Oh Bhagavan JwAla Narasimha, with folded
hands I surrender my Atma to You. Relieved of all
sorrows and desires, I salute you.
In the next verse of the same Stothram, Ahirbudhnyan
declares

 "dhAsaBhUthA: svatha: sarvE hyAthmAna:
paramAthmana: aThOhamapi thE dhAsa: ithi mathvA
namAmyaham"

The every being in this Universe is your slave and you
as the master, the Paramathmaa, reside in them as
their inner-being. Recognizing that I too am your
slave in this manner, I offer salutations to you.

AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana
dAsan