You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00085 Jun 2007

Jun 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Respected Swamin,

     I fully support the view of Sreeman Geelakshmanan. Place is immaterial whether it is america or India. Place of worship matters. Dress code is to be strictly followed. Will any one go to Office in the same way they go to temple? God is a super natural power and we should present ourself in the way he likes and not at all the way we like. If our dress code is appropriate, unknowingly we may be the role model for some people (devotees).  Let us strictly follow the customs of the temple.

vaachika doshaha kshantavyaha
Adein
rparthasarathy

geelakshman <gopalacharylakshmanan@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Respected Sriman Sadagopan maama:

If adiyen may add to the list given by Sriman N.Krishnamachary:

In North American temples most of the persons do not follow
the 'dress code'. I am not asking everyone to come in the traditional
dress. At least males can avoid coming to the temple in tennis shorts
and T-shirts (coming perhaps after a game of tennis and 'dropping' at
the temple on the way home). If I say about women's dress then one
might ask "Why do you look at them when there are Thaayaar and
PerumaaL for you to look at". Many would agree with me when I say
many women succeed in making people - both men and women - look at
them at least once. Inside a hall or temple premises it is easy to
see many persons because of our normal vision, I think. After having
seen them once you can avoid seeing them again by not looking in that
direction or pass them looking at the floor. So let me put it mildly:
Women can also avoid wearing shorts (this being summer time many
women do wear this)and may wear loose fitting clothes if they do not
have sari to wear(Believe me 'sari' is not in the wardrobe of few
Indian women I know traditionally brought up in our 'kalaachaaram'
and now residing in North America). They are not going to office or
party to impress people.

If you are bringing with you persons of North American origin to the
temple you may suggest to them before hand to dress appropriately.

If anyone has question for me on this, I have a question for them to
answer me. If it is a party that has mandatory dress code with tuxedo
etc, to which you are invited, would you be allowed inside if you go
in shorts? or in jeans? Why treat the temple differently? No one is
stopping you because of your dress at the temple because everyone has
access to the temple and everyone has the right to pray but should
you not dress appropriately when you go to the temple?

I have observed Sri Venkat Kanumalla of Sri Ranganatha temple, New
York offering dhoti to persons who are wearing pants and shirts and
who recite vedam or prabhandham. Some persons accept it, change to
dhoti and continue the recitation. It should be like that. If you are
going to chant vedam do it in dhoti. Some persons reject it saying "
I will do as I please". That is not correct.

Dress code should be observed while going to the temple.

vaachika doshaha kshantavyaha
adiyen

--- In Oppiliappan@yahoogroups.com, Narasimhan Krishnamachari
<champakam@...> wrote:

> Since I do not know how to use Tamil font to respond, I am giving
the following in English. Three important items that can be added to
this list are:

> 1. No one should ever prostrate to the priests inside the
temple. This is a common thing that I see being done in the North
American system where I am. The priests should know this simple
rule, but they either do not tell the devotees not to prostrate to
them in the house of the Lord, or they do not know this simple common-
sense rule.

> 2. One should never clap in appreciation of any human being
inside the temple, especially when the Lord is in Asanam in the
manTapam. This is another rule that is commonly violated in the
North American temples, where the generous donors are given applause
for their donation, or a dance or music performer is applauded for
offering his/her skills in front of the Lord, or the trustees are
given an applause for being trustees.

> 3. One should not prostrate (sAshTA'nga namaskAram) except
outside the limits of the dvaja sthambham.

> -dAsan Krishnamachari

 WHAT YOU ARE TODAY IS GOD'S GIFT TO YOU!

     WHAT YOU BECOME IS YOUR GIFT TO GOD!!

Download prohibited? No problem! CHAT from any browser, without download. __._,_.___

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
oppiliappan-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
To subscribe to the list