You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00091 Jun 2007

Jun 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Members,

In this context, I invite the attention of members to the observations of (late) Shri Kanchi Swami regarding Namaskarams in general at:   http://kirtimukha.com/surfings/Cogitation/namo_namah.htm
A relevant extract:

... the Acharya has referred to the great causal principle of the Jagat by the name NARAYANA. So, when he intends that the namaskaras performed to us must be conveyed to the Jagat-Karana-Vastu, he instructs: "Convey to Narayana". And to carry out the instruction, he has made a rule, which appears easy on the face of it.

Only that Narayana, who has created all this and has endowed all this with vital energy (sakthi), has the "right" to accept all the namaskaras. Namaskara to any deity goes to Kesava. We recite the sloka: 'Sarva Deva Namaskara Kesavam Pratigachhati'. When namaskaras performed to the deities go only to HIM, how can namaskaras performed to ordinary people belong to them? All these namaskaras also go to HIM only. It is (this principle) that we have been asked to always remember when namakaras are performed to us. In order that we do not "misappropriate" the namaskaras rightfully belonging to HIM only and make sure that the namaskara is duly redirected to HIM, the Acharya has most kindly defined a rule for us – a rule, which as I said earlier, is seemingly easy. The rule is that when someone performs a namaskara to us, we should say "Narayana, Narayana".

Dasan

krishnaswamy m k

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia