You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00169 Jun 2007

Jun 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Shri Venkat,

  Thank you for your mail. I just returned from a trip to Pandia Nadu and Malainadu Divyadesams.
For your proposed trip to Malainadu Divyadesams, following are my suggestions.
1. Plan your trip well.
2. Carry  District wise Kerala maps.
3. The Shrines in Kerala , Nagarcoil and Thiruvattaru open at 5.00 AM. They close around 9.00 / 10.00 Am except Thiruvananthapuram where It is closed at 11.30 AM.
4. They open at / around 5.00 PM in the evening. Thiruvananthapuram Padmanabhaswamy Temple opens at 4.00 PM.
5. During my trip, I found all Temple priests very responsive, cordial  well mannered and behaved.
6. Ensure that you are present at 5.00 Am in the morning in a Temple , in which case you can visit atleast one more Temple in the morning it self. Similarly if you are present by 5.00 Pm, you can visit atleast one temple in the Evening.
Now how we( myself and my better half) proceeded:
We started at 5.00 Am from Nagarcoil and worshiped in Thiruvanparisaram which is about 3 Kms from Nagarcoil. This shrine is located about 1 Km from the road that branches away from Nagarcoil Salem Road. Around 6.00 AM we boarded bus bound for Marthandam. From Marthandam, we took another bus to Thiruvattaru. It is 15 - 20 miniutes drive. There was a Thirumanjanam and we were Bhagyasalis to witness It. After worship we went back to Marthandam and boarded the bus to Thiruvananthapuram. The journey was about 1hour and 20 miniutes. The delay is due to signals and traffic conjestion. We worshipped at Padmanabha Swamy Temple and after our lunch left for Chenganur.About 3 hours jpourney. We reached Chenganur by 3.00 PM. Immediately left for Puliyur. We reached by 3.30 Pm. But had to wait  till 5.00 PM for the temple to open. After Darshan, we left for Aranmula via Chenganur. After worship we returned to Chenganur. As it was around 7.30 PM, we decided to stay back. stay:Maruthy Lodge; Dinner:Hotel Aryas.
In the next morning, again at 5.00 Am we hired an Auto and went to Thurychitrur Temple(Chenganur).( Local people call it Thiruchitrur. Otherwise you will be misguided.)
After Seva, we proceeded by the same Auto to Thiruvanvandur and worshipped there. From there we went to Thiruvallah and worshipped there in the same Auto. Then we boarded a bus to Chengananchery. There we hired an auto to go to Thirukadithanam. After worship, we returned to Bus stand and boarded a bus to Ernakulam, where we had our lunch. After our Lunch, we left for Thiru Kakkara via Edapalli. We were well ahead of Scheduled time of opening. The Temple opened at 5.00 PM. After darshan we left for Aluva which is about 30 miniutes journey. There we again got in to a bus proceeding to Mala. Thirumoozikalam shrine is in the Road from Aluva to Mala.(about 40 miniutes drive) After worship. we went to Angamali Railway Station. Around 9.00 PM the train started for Guruvayur and reached around 11.15 Pm. There we relaxed for about 2 hours. We took our bath by 2.00 AM and stood in the que for Nirmalya Darsanam which is at 3.00 AM. After Darshan, we left for Kuttipuram around 4.00 AM. We reached Kuttipuram at 5.30 AM. Immediately left for ThiruNAvai in a mini Bus. It is 20 miniutes Drive. After worship, we got back to Kuttipuram and waited for Pattambhi bus, which came after 20 miniutes. We reached the Koottu padha, which is about 3 Kilometerts before Pattambhi. We hired an auto to go to Thiruvichicodu which is about 4 Kms. By 11.00 AM we were in Shoranur after all the Temple visits, We relaxed for the day till we got train at 10.25 PM.
The total time that took is 2 1/2 days. We had travelled by Public transport and Auto. The bus service in Kerala is very good. The drivers and conductors were very friendly and helpful. Without their support it would have taken some more time. Language was not a barrier.

If you are travelling from the southern districts of Tamilnadu, the above trip is applicable. If you plan to enter Kerala through Coimbatore, the reverse of the above trip will apply.

Nagarcoil, Thiruvananthapuram, Chenganur, Ernakulam and Guruvayur can be considered for stay. Vegetarian food is available. But only in select hotels. I would suggest not to eat in those hotels. Better equip with fruites, biscuites and dry fruites. In Thiruvananthapuram, veg hotels are there. In Kottayam Hotel Archana provides pure veg food.

I hope the above meets your requirements.
Please free feel to contact me if you need any more information.

Regards,
                                                                    S RAJAGOPALAN

Venkat <venkat.partha@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sir,

I am planning to visit the divya desams in Kerala sometime next month. Most probably I will go by my own vehicle. Could you please give me more specific information about these temples and their locations with the nearby city/town.

Regards,
Venkatesh Parthasarathy.