You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2007

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00179 Jun 2007

Jun 2007 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Gopaladesika mahadesikaya nama:

Dearest all,

Let us continue to enjoy azhwAr?s verses in the fourth
ten on ThiruvEnkatam. A brilliant set of verses.

Tenth verse?

umpa rulakaaN torukudaikkeezh uruppasithan
ampoR kalaiyalkul peRRaalu maathariyEn
sempavaLa vaayaan thiruvENG katamennum
emperumaan ponmalaimE lEthEnu maavEnE

Even if given the company of the gold-bejeweled
Urvasi, I shall not desire her. I shall seek instead
to be simply ANYTHING on the sacred hills of
ThiruvEnkatam (to be near my Lord always) where the
most beautiful red coral mouthed [sem pavaLa vaayaan]
Lord of ThiruvEnkatam resides.

emperumaan ponmalaimEl EdhEnum aavEnE --May I be born
as *anything* on the golden hill of my Lord of
ThiruVenkatam! What a brilliant line! AzhwAr wishes to
be just merely ANYTHING in the mountain of
ThiruvEnkatam!

AzhwAr had sought to be from Stork bird to
fish,champaka flower tree, thorn, the river, the path
the step in the temple.. etc..  In the mountain of
ThiruvEnkatam

Now AzhwAr wonders as to why he has been troubling
mind asking for various beings and non-beings. He
wants the Lord to grant him anything that He wishes.
Let me be born anything that you choose to let me be!

yEdhEnum aavEnE?

This was commented by Sri Paraasara Bhattar:

Anything - yEdhEnum- means:

Grant me ANYTHING that none should know as to what or
who I will be. So that I can perform my kaimkaryam
without any one?s notice

[An indeed a wonderful verse] AzhwAr is an epitome of
Bhagawath and Bhaagawatha sEshathvam! A
personification of NammAzhwAr?s verse ozhivil
kallamellaam udanaay manni (TVM 3.3) which we will
enjoy later in this series.

Let us reflect on this divine sthothra which kind of
echoes AzhwAr?s sentiment:

Srisa SriyA gatikayA thvadhupAyabhAvE
prApyE thvayi svayamupEyatayA spuranthyA
nithyAsrithAya niravdhyaguNAya thubhyam
kinkarO vrushagirIsa na jaathu mahyam

Oh Lord of ThiruvEnkatam hills! Oh Consort of MahA
Lakshmi! You are indeed the integrated essence of all
auspicious qualities. Your consort makes us worthy of
the object of your mercy. When we obtain Your
blessings through Her intercession, She also presents
Herself with You as the inseparable, divine couple; at
that time, both of You become the object of our
adorations. We will serve both of you with pure
hearts. We shall never be detached from you even for a
moment in thought or deed. We will never consider
ourselves as svatantra purushAs. We are indeed blessed
to receive the benefits of SaraNAgathi performed
according to the way taught by our AchAryAs to secure
Your blessings.

MangalAsAsanam is a tradition by which a grateful
devotee hails the Lord and wishes Him all MangaLams or
auspiciousness. PeriyAzhwAr's ThiruppallaANDu (wishing
long life to the Lord) belongs to this category.

AzhwAr ThiruvaDigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo narayana
dAsan