Re: Updating the American Revolution, or Is Paris Listening?

Hi all,

I am writing a book for the Hispanic-American children's audience in the
United States, concerning an interesting incident during the American
Revolution.  The funding for the battle of Yorktown was raised in Havana,
Cuba from Cuban citizens, by the French naval commander, Admiral de Grasse,
after General Rochambeau had repeatedly advised him that we in the Colonies
were quite broke and could hardly afford supplies for the planned Yorktown
assault.  The letter from de Grasse to Rochambeau concerning the details of
the incident is in the French Naval Archives, dated August 25, 1781, which
deGrasse wrote on the ship the Ville de Paris off the coast of Matanzas,
Cuba.  I have more details to pinpoint it.

I have been doing research with wonderful help from the DAR Library, the
Library of Congress Manuscript Division, the National Archives, and the US
Naval Academy, but have not uncovered the specific letter that I need.  Can
anyone provide a suggestion?  (I am an amateur researcher who has volunteered
in bilingual education, so this is out of my expertise.)   Or a contact?  A
researcher who would like to exchange some research time from me here in the
US or a student who would enjoy a few extra French francs?  Any and all
suggestions would be very, very welcome; I've exhausted all my options here.

Merci beaucoup and muchas gracias,
Barbara Mitchell
Voice:  703-561-0768