Re: Accuracy of birth records (Was Primary vs Seondary ?)

Good morning from (not so this morning) sunny south-central Florida. I hope everyone had a blessed and wonderful Christmas and New Year. Just a couple of musings about this thread...

1. What has the accuracy of birth records (or any other for that matter) have to do with the distinction and definition of primary vs. secondary record? Very interesting, but not surprising, stories. Of course information recorded in family Bibles, reconstructed from memory, newspaper accounts (past AND present), personal letters, etc., are absolutely inerrant, true, and accurate <grin>.

2. I didn't realize that as archivists we were responsible for or certify the accuracy or content of the records in our custody; I thought we were responsible for maintaining the authenticity of the record (yes, this is indeed the original copy of Anytown City Council Ordinance XYZ, etc.) complete with the human errors it may, or may not, contain.

3. Having done some historical research, I have always tried to access primary sources of information, and MULTIPLE sources of information, before attempting to define or clarify precise detail (exact dates, correct name spelling, etc.) and ALWAYS cite the source(s). I also PERSONALLY do not consider news articles as primary sources in my research. (Other than the ones already cited in other posts, I am not aware of any other written authoritative definitions of primary source/secondary source.)

I will now promptly go back to my cubicle and chuckle wildly. Have a great week and God bless you and yours.

Sincerely,

Curtis Welch, CA
Sr. Records Management Analyst
Pinellas Co. BCC Admin. Services