Re: History of Archives

You might start with T.R. Schellenberg, Modern archives (Chicago/Melbourne
1956).

Check the Bibliography of the Section for archibal education and training of
the International Council on Archives: What students in Archival Science
learn. iIt is in the Internet:
http://www.gslis.utexas.edu/~issa/bibliography.html.

Useful is:
Jan van den Broek, From Brussels to Beijing, in: Archivum vol. 43 (1997),
pp. 31-62, which deals with international archival co-operation since 1910.
I could send you the text (219 Kb) by email.

I also recommend the Proceedings of the Second European Conference on
Archives, Ann Arbor, 1989, containing papers by Peter Sigmond and Francis
Blouin, on " Divergences and convergences of Archives" : a European looks at
North America, respectively a North American Perspective.