Re: Got Any Ideas?

Bobs,
Here, rescuing materials comes under salvage, which is done
after the firefighters, etc. have done their job and the safety officer
has declared the building safe to enter.  The salvage team will
include members of the staff, so there's no problem identifying the
materials. And we don't work in the dark (well, not in the physical
sense).

>         Currently our disaster manual identifies the manuscript
>         collections and
> books which should are top priotity for rescue by
> room/range/section/shelf.
>  There is no identifing mark on the items themselves.
>         If the disaster occurs while we're here, we don't even need the
>         manual in
> order to know what to rescue.
>         If it occurs while we're not here and if there is no electricity,
>         I can't
> envision the firefighters or campus security personnel laboriously reading
> the disaster manual with a flashlight.
>         The most likely disaster would be hurricane or tornado.  We're in
>         a solid
> building with a Halon gas fire extinguishing system.  Most of the
> collections are housed in locked rooms with good security.  We do not
> perceive theft from break-in to be high risk.
>         We're thinking of glow-in-the-dark labels of some kind so the
>         rescuers
> could just eyeball the collections in the dark and grab them.
>         Anybody done this?  What works?  What doesn't?
>         Many thanks,
>             Bobs Tusa

> Bobs M. Tusa, Ph.D.
> University Archivist
> William D. McCain Library and Archives
> The University of Southern Mississippi
> Box 5148
> Hattiesburg, MS  39406-5148
> Website: http://www.lib.usm.edu/~archives/
> E-mail:  Bobs.Tusa@usm.edu
> Phone:  (601) 266-4348
> Fax:    (601) 266-6269

Clark E. Center, Jr.
Archival Access Coordinator
W.S. Hoole Special Collections Library
The University of Alabama               Phone: (205) 348-0505
P.O. Box 870266                         Fax: (205) 348-1699
Tuscalooosa, AL  35487-0266             E-mail: ccenter@bama.ua.edu