history of C & U archives

Dear Colleagues:

I have been doing some research on how our own archives came into being and
this has made me curious about other institutions.  I've done some checking
via online sources but haven't found much (i.e. Library Literature  only
goes back to December 1984).   Ernst Posner's article in College &
University Archives: Selected Readings (SAA, 1979) was helpful but
primarily mentioned Harvard and Catholic University.

I heard someone say (somewhere, some place) that a lot of archives came
into being during the mid-century because many schools were celebrating
their centennials and wanted to write their histories.  Hence the need for
an archives.  However, I don't know what the source is for this comment.
Does this sound right to others?

Are there some good articles out there that address this topic?  If you
know of any, I appreciate you sharing the info with me.

Thank you!

Beth S. Harris          Special Collections Management Librarian
Wyndham Robertson Library       POB 9000, 7950 E. Campus Drive
Hollins University                      Roanoke, VA  24020
Fax: (540) 362-6756             Ph.: (540) 362-6237
Website:  http://www.hollins.edu