Re: retention of awards and plaques

At 18:13 PM 1/13/00 EST, you wrote:
>I too am curious about this question. At the Benjamin Moore Archives there
>are quite a few. As they take up ever more room, I am wondering what the
>rationale is for retention. Perhaps we should we keep one or two of each type
>or only older ones, or only those with additional information. Would love to
>hear how others handle this.

I will jump in here for whatever my own experience is worth.  For most of
the time I have been at Austin College, I have been disinclined to accept
or keep awards and placques because their historical value seemed small and
they presented rather a large storage problem.  However, I have come to
realize that they do embody information about the history of the college
that is not preserved elsewhere. Gift records are not transferred to
Archives here, and despite that, the Development Office is more likely to
call and question me about a donor or gift than the other way around.
After recently visiting a museum that had awards, placques, and trophies on
display, I've begun to look at my own more critically.  If they give
evidence of an activity or a donor that I know little or nothing about
otherwise, I keep them--even though they're a nuisance.

"He who destroyes a good Booke, kills reason it selfe"

Dr. Laura McLemore, CA
College Archivist
Austin College
Suite 6L