Re: retention of awards and plaques

Steve Fisher wrote:
<snip>
We have found this to be a darned if you do, darned if you don't type of
item. Plaques are a pain to store, inventory, etc. However, we do have
requests for these from time to time, just often enough to make disposal a
bad idea. A defunct club or group is holding a reunion and wants to pull
them out for display. The grandchild of a donor or award winner comes in
looking for a plaque that was given in 1930. You get the idea.
<snip>

Steve hit the mark "d--ned if I do, d--ned if I don't". When I worked with
at a local library eons ago we received a donation from a local high school
alumni group that included athletic trophies and other awards garnered by
the high school. Needless to say it was the awards and trophies that drew
the people into the local archives not the papers, etc. They were dented,
tarnished and ugly for the most part (the trophies not the alumni), but
memories were resurrected or rekindled. The preservation of awards goes
back to ancient times and continues to this day. Why else would we preserve
regimental battle flags captured during wartime. Sure they're bulky,
difficult to preserve, awkward to store, but people want to see them.

 Maybe what is needed is some sort of easily made box that will allow the
the awards to be stored on shelving such as a "phase box". I do agree that
today's trophies for the most part are ugly compared to ones created in the
late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Peter A. Kurilecz CRM, CA
Woodside Summit Group, Inc
Richmond, Virginia