Re: retention of awards and plaques

I guess some Archives have the luxury of keeping lots of records/artifacts of moderate historical importance.  Many Archives have space limitations, as well as small budgets that would not allow for offsite storage of these awards.  Yes, I know some of you are going to argue that appraisal decisions should not be based on space considerations, but, let's face it, it is a consideration.

I think it's perfectly legitimate to sample the awards and photograph the rest.  With photographing you have not lost the informational value of the object (unless your patrons are interested in the evolution of plaque art).   The awards that you determine are really cool looking or really important can be retained and used for exhibits.

Heather Willever-Farr
Manager, Archives and Records Management
American College of Physicians - American Society of Internal Medicine
Philadelphia, PA
hwillever-farr@mail.acponline.org

>>> "HEGEL, GERRY" <GHEGEL@DANCONA.COM> 01/14 10:35 AM >>>
Let me offer another idea.  Peter is absolutely right about the history that
goes with awards.  But, they are bulky as are trophies.  Look carefully at
all of them, and you may find that the actual plaque with the words on it is
a piece of metal attached to wood, or a plate attached to a trophy (which in
my view only compete with each other for ugliness).  You might consider
detaching the plate from its backing and just keep that.

Just a thought.

Thanks,

Gerry

Gerald L. Hegel