Re: history of C & U archives

> I heard someone say (somewhere, some place) that a lot of archives came
> into being during the mid-century because many schools were celebrating
> their centennials and wanted to write their histories.  Hence the need
> for an archives.  However, I don't know what the source is for this
> comment. Does this sound right to others?

Whatever the source, I suspect there's a lot of truth to it. The first
discussions concerning an archives here at Washington U. happened in 1953
wasn't actually established until 1964, largely due to the presence of a
new and spacious library building which allowed for the expansion of
library services.

Carole Prietto, University Archivist     phone:  (314) 935-9730
Washington University                    fax:  (314) 935-8320
Box 1061, One Brookings Drive            prietto@library.wustl.edu
St. Louis, Missouri 63130