Re: retention of awards and plaques

There must be a storage method better than leaning
> them up against the back wall of the archive.  Any ideas out there?
>
> Joy Kingsolver

   I've found that the gray document boxes work well for the smaller
ones. You can separate them with any archivally-safe "bubble wrap" or
corrugated cardboard that bends easily. Think of them as rare books that
can be stored on-end. There are also available bigger, taller boxes that
are used for 78 rpm record albums.  In a pinch I've made a vapor-bearier
cushion on the floor, then stacked the big ones upright, but separated
with bubble wrap or some other cushioning material.
   Once trophies are cleaned, they can be stored on open shelves and
lightly draped with archivally-safe plastic bags. Idea is not to trap
moisture.
   In a museum setting, any of these would each have a number and I not
only put the number on the object itself, but attach a big tag with big
numbers that can be seen by people with bad eyes in the dim light of
storage area, so that all of them do not have to be handled in order to
find one.
   Sometimes you have to be inventive.

Cynthia Ogorek
Director