Re: retention of awards and plaques

Gang:
Personally, I would try as hard as I could to keep the plaques.  It may take
creative thinking, but as soon as they are gone, someone who cares will
notice, or be offended, or not donate their collection to you because of
those da** plaques being found in the trash.

Make an inventory, then they can be stored quite well on end (like record
albums) in record center cartons, with a file folder in between each one to
prevent scratching.   You could also cover every available wall inch you
have with them (in the processing area, not in the reading room), which I
find is the technique which works best for framed art in cramped
quarters-naturally in the dark.

Of course I would unframe certificates, and toss those frames.

But dealing with these buggers is why we get paid the big bucks.  Hey, they
even work in an exhibit (1or 2).  Too bad Y2K wasn't as bad as
predicted-Think of the great firewood they would have made!

Mark Lambert
Special Collections and Government Documents Librarian
South Texas College of Law Library
Houston, TX