Re: Position posting

With all due respect to the Sam Houston Center, I both
chuckled and winced at the requirement of ability to lift
and carry 50 lb. boxes UP library ladders, as well as
the comment that this would be tested.

I have interviewed and hired many full-time, part-time,
and volunteer staff, and I am hard-pressed to think of
anyone that could handle this type of task.   I do carry
boxes up and down pulpit ladders in our records
management division, but I don't believe any of the
cubic foot boxes approach this weight -- and if they
do, I have seen staff simply drop them.  If they are
that tightly packed in paper ... it is cheaper to risk
replacing the box than physical damage to the staff.

In this department, we will occasionally break a
collection into two boxes if it appears the one box is
overly heavy.   The question is not just the heaviness
of the box, but other problems of moving it around
the facility, the ability of booktrucks and shelving to
hold the weight without bending, danger to users or
researchers who try to move the box themselves,
and similar concerns.

I apologize ahead of time if my thoughts offend any-
one.  Jot this one down as musings on a Friday
afternoon.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian
Special Collections and West Florida Archives
John C. Pace Library
University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
Tele:  850-474-2213;   Fax:  850-474-3338