Re: Access policy for rare Art Books

"Tina V. Furtado" wrote:

> Hello to everyone,
> I am once again seeking the wisdom of the list on a new venture.
> Our library has a collection of rare and early printed Art Books, art
> prints, works on paper, and paintings. We are resurrecting the original Art
> Room in our Main Library as it existed back in the 1870s under first
> librarian Robert Ingraham.
> My question is --
> Do any of you manage this type of collection, and can you share with us some
> ideas for an access policy?
>
> Obiviously none of the materials will circulate, be copied or scanned by
> researchers.
> I am using the standard access policy for our Archives Room as a starting
> point.
>
> Anything specific to this type of material that we should be aware of?
> Thanks in advance.

Tina,
You are going to have to be extremely security conscious IMHO.  Plates, prints,
tipped-in photos, etc. are all desirable and saleable items that are fairly
easily removed from bound volumes or from portfolios.  You need to be extra
diligent in watching folks and getting some sort of picture ID (which you should
photo copy).  I don't mean to be an alarmist but this ain't 1870 as far as
thieves are concerned.  Dick King, University of Arizona and his opinions only.
begin:vcard
n:King;Richard
tel;fax:520.889.5660
tel;work:520.889.5666
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:University of Arizona;Records Management and Archives
adr:;;250 E. Valencia Road, Bldg. 3301;Tucson;AZ;85706;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:kingr@u.arizona.edu
title:Director
fn:Richard King