Re: receiving new material

Matt,
    You are right on the money with simplicity.  The more simple the harder it
is to screw up.  Here is a suggested form:
Sent By:
Collection:
Dates for Materials (what time frame do they cover):
College Oriented:
Other:
Grouped (are they already organized?):
Date is obvious, Who it is sent by is helpful if you have any questions (now or
in the future).  The Collection name is obvious.  The Dates for the materials
gives you an idea as to where they should be integrated into the collection (if
it already exists).  If it is College oriented or not also helps you determine
what you are looking at before you start you listing. Also if the material is
other that College material it will help the collection to be segregated from
Scholastic and professional aspects of a person's collection.  Grouped?  this
one will help you determine how many man hours it will take for a listing to be
completed. If it is organized,  then the listing will run much smoother.  There
is nothing more frustrating than receiving a manuscript of a book you have not
read from a Collectee you do not know  and have the manuscript untitled,
crumpled and jumbled together,  mixing 3 or 4 different drafts together all in
one box.  This will take you much longer than a collection that comes to you
with correspondence separated from the organized manuscripts,   etc.
Just my two cents worth taken from personal experience in the biz.
-Alex Rankin
Archival Coordinator
Department of Special Collections
Boston University