Scanning student records and development office files

Hello to  you all:

This came up at a meeting today:  we create too much paper (novel idea!).
 We have to keep the actual records through college applications.

The files then move to the development office where they immediately fill
up with all correspondence for the bulletin, all Christmas cards and
accompanying family photographs, gift transmittals (that are in the
computer program designed to keep track of these things) gift thank you
letters/notes, all the scraps of paper that have bee cut out of the
Bulleting relating to a specific alum, etc, etc.  How many filing cabinets
do we need to buy?!

Question after the preamble:
        What is a reasonably-priced scanner to scan to disk that will provide
quick access to information.  Which of the above items should be included
when there are many items of a confidential nature?  How would one handle a
combination of two formats: paper and disk?

We do keep the student records in paper in perpetuity.  Much of the above
information will become of a historical nature, reports on jobs etc,
children born, husband's job.

Your help has always been invalid.  Thank you.

Veronica Colley Cunningham
Archivist and Records Coordinator
Emma Willard School
285 Pawling Avenue